The Lightroom cloud ecosystem has been updated today, with updates for Windows & Mac (6.1) and iOS & Android (8.1). As well as bug fixes and new camera / lens profiles support, there are a number of enhancements to existing features. (Lightroom Classic has also been updated.)
Calibration Panel (Desktop)
One of most popular feature requests from ex-Classic users has been the Camera Calibration panel. They’re actually legacy sliders, from the early days of Camera Raw, so they’re no longer usually used for their original purpose, but they are popular with preset developers. The sliders are now available in the desktop apps, but they’re hidden by default, so visit Edit’s … menu to show the panel.
Masking Sliders (Desktop)
The Masking sliders are now grouped into panels to make them easier to navigate.
iOS16 Camera Widget (iOS)
At last! You can now add a widget to the iOS Lock Screen to take you straight to Lightroom’s camera!
There’s a new test feature in the Detail view’s Share menu, which might be called something like Add border and share. It’s currently in a test phase, so it won’t show on everyone’s device, and the wording may change. Great opportunity for you to share your feedback!
More Premium Presets (Desktop/Mobile/Web)
Adobe’s Premium presets have been a real hit with photographers, so they’ve added 4 new sets called “Seasons”.
Other Feature Improvements
- Desktop – The Search bar is now accessible in People view, to save scrolling through all of your people thumbnails.
- Desktop – Export entire preset groups, as well as individual presets.
- Desktop – New menu command to delete empty AI-based masks. (Empty masks can be caused by when applying a “teeth whitening” preset to a photo that has no people, or pasting masks to multiple photos with varying content.)
- Desktop – If a photo is stuck syncing, Alt-clicking (Windows) / Opt-clicking (Mac) on the sync status icon in the Info panel > Sync Status retries sync.
- Desktop – People masks now show people’s names where available.
- iOS – AI-based masks are now automatically recomputed when pasting masks or applying presets. No more having to update each one individually!
- iOS – Share a photo with a simple border.
- iOS – Store Locally now works correctly even if there are videos in the album.
- iOS – Copy/Paste settings now works on videos in Detail view.
- Android – nothing of note this time, other than bug fixes, camera support on presets. That’s usually a good sign that they’re working on something big though!
When a new camera is released, standardized formats such as JPEG, TIFF and DNG are supported immediately. Proprietary raw file formats are not standardized, so they must be individually added in a Lightroom release. Most cameras are supported within 2-3 months of their release.
- Apple iPad (10th Generation) Wide camera
- Apple iPad Pro 11-inch (4th Generation) wide camera
- Apple iPad Pro 12.9-inch (6th generation) Wide camera
- LUMIX DC-ZS80D (DC-TZ95D, DC-TZ96D)
- Pentax KF
- Sony ILME-FX30
- Sony ILCE-7RM5
- Click to view the full list of supported cameras
Many compact and mirrorless cameras have built-in lens profiles, but other cameras use lens profiles to correct for lens defects such as barrel/pincushion distortion and vignetting. New profiles are added with each Lightroom release. Click here for the full list of available Adobe Lens Profiles.
As always, the engineers have been working hard to fix bugs. Adobe only publishes the ones that were reported by users:
- Desktop: Keeps saying ‘Unable to Connect to Network’.
- Desktop: Delete not available for some Camera Profiles.
- Desktop: Tif files exported from PNG with Transparency lose transparency and are saved on White Background.
- Desktop: Local storage mismatch (space used exceeds drive capacity).
- Desktop: All photos are synced & backed up but bottom right hand corner of the screen says pending.
- Mobile: Vignette slider has no effect if a Profile containing a vignette is applied.
- Mobile iOS: Store locally hangs if performed on an Album that contains videos.
- Mobile iOS: Store locally continually syncs if performed on an Album that contains videos.
- Android: Blue Curve button is missing in landscape orientation.
If you find a bug, click here to learn how to report it to Adobe.
To update, go to Help menu > Updates or click the Update button in the CC app. The update servers take a while to push the updates around the world, to avoid overloading the servers. You can also open the Creative Cloud app, click Update on the left, then click the … icon (top right) and Check for Updates to give it a nudge. To update on mobile, visit the App Store (iOS) / Play Store (Android).
Is the book updated?
The eBooks for Adobe Lightroom – Edit Like a Pro are already up-to-date, and can be downloaded immediately after purchasing. If you already have a current Lightroom Cloud Premium Membership, the updated eBooks are available for download in your Members Area.