In a previous post entitled How do I reorganize my Folders panel we discussed how to create, rename and delete folders, and how to move photos between folders. If you’re moving to a dated folder structure, Lightroom won’t create the folder structure automatically, but it can help. Here’s how:
- Create your new dated folder structure in the Folders panel. Month folders inside of year folders is usually plenty – creating day folders inside each month takes a long time with minimal benefit. (You could create these as you need them, if you prefer)
- Select All Photographs in the Catalog panel.
- At the top of the Grid, select the Metadata Filters (discussed in more detail in the Finding & Filtering Photos chapter starting on page 167 of my Lightroom Classic – The Missing FAQ book)
- In the Date column, highlight a single month of photos, hiding photos/videos shot at other times.
- Select all of the photos in the Grid below and drag them to their applicable month folder. Regardless of where they’re currently stored, they’ll all be moved to the new month folder.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all of the photos are in the new dated folder structure.
- There may be many leftover empty folders in the Folders panel – these can now be deleted.
Hopefully, by the time you’ve finished all of the tidying up we’ve been doing in this series of blog posts you’ll have a wonderfully tidy catalog, and you can concentrate on actually working with your photos instead of managing them.
Related blog posts
Here’s a list of some related blog posts:
For extensive information on Lightroom Classic, see Adobe Lightroom Classic – The Missing FAQ.
If you have the Photography Plan, then as well as Classic you have access to the Lightroom cloud ecosystem including the mobile apps and web interface. For more information on these apps, see Adobe Lightroom – Edit on the Go.
Note: purchase of these books includes the first year’s Classic or cloud-based Premium Membership (depending on the book purchased), giving access to download the latest eBook (each time Adobe updates the software), email assistance for the applicable Lightroom version if you hit a problem, and other bonuses.
We also have a special bundle offer for the two books. This includes Premium Membership for the first year as described above for the whole Lightroom family!
Originally posted 12 June 2016, updated October 2019.