Updated with a few more regular bugs 9th November.
Lightroom 3 beta‘s been out for a week now, and the main beta forum alone has seen nearly 3000 posts already. So, a quick run down of the most popular themes and bugs…
- No PPC, No Tiger – yes, you read that correctly, minimum system specs for Mac are Intel processor and 10.5.6 or newer. The subject has been beaten to death now.
- Soft Proofing is not in LR3 beta. LR3 is not feature complete. Jeff Schewe has been dropping heavy hints, but no one can say what will or will not be in the final release.
- Lens correction – no, it’s not in, and yes it would be very nice. It’s a big job that needs to be done properly. You’ve been heard.
- Great feedback on the new image quality – the updated noise reduction is getting some really productive feedback.
Most popular bugs being reported:
- Lightroom won’t install on PPC…. it’s not meant to!
- Import dialog hangs when it comes across a video file. Solution for now is to exclude video files by unchecking them in the import dialog – they’re easily spotted as they have grey thumbnails.
- Import dialog hangs when you rename with a Total# or Image# token. Solution for now is to use other renaming tokens, or rename after import.
- Import dialog hangs on big imports. Solution for now is to do smaller imports! It’s a major overhaul so will be buggy at the moment.
- Renaming a selected folder makes the photos disappear – restart to show them again.
- Deleting off a network drive doesn’t always work.
- Loupe view isn’t refreshing properly on secondary display.
- Luminance slider doesn’t work – it’s disabled for the beta while they continue working, but will be back in the final release.
- History panel selection has a mind of its own.
- Slideshow turns some portrait photos the wrong way round.
- Watermark – some characters go missing.
- Capture date/time is showing the wrong date.
- …and plenty more besides!
Finally, a gentle reminder that the beta forum is for discussing the new tools and bugs found in LR3. If you have general Lightroom feature requests, they’re better off in the feature request forum so they don’t get lost in the beta noise.
Have fun testing!