If you decide not to use Lightroom’s built in camera – or you occasionally forget – you’ll want to add other photos to Lightroom. This can be done automatically, so you don’t even have to think about it, or manually.
How do I add photos and videos automatically?
To automatically add new photos and videos to Lightroom, tap the LR icon in the top left corner of the Organize view to show the Preferences, and look for the Auto Add switches. The name and exact location of this preference varies by OS.
These automatically-added photos are added to the main Lightroom Photos collection, which contains all of the photos synced to the cloud, but you can also select a specific collection to make them easier to find. To do so:
- In the Organize view, which shows the list of collections, tap the + in the top corner to create a new collection and give it a name such as “iPad Photos” or “Inbox.”
- Tap the … icon to the right of the collection name to show the collection menu.
- Select Enable Auto Add from this menu and confirm your choice.
How do I add photos and videos manually?
Auto Add only adds new photos automatically as you shoot them, but you can add older photos to Lightroom mobile using the Add Photos command. The process varies slightly by operating system:
- Tap the Add Photos button at the bottom of the Organize view (or at the bottom of a collection’s Grid view, if you want to add them to a specific collection).
- Lightroom displays the photos stored on your mobile device. At the top of the grid, select the album/folder of your choice, for example, Camera Roll. You can filter to show only specific file types by tapping the … button at the top of the screen. Photos already imported into Lightroom on the current mobile device have a LR icon in the corner.
- On iOS, swipe across the photos to select them, or tap the … button to Select All. (If you just tap on a single photo, you can start editing it immediately, then choose to save the edits in Lightroom.)
On Android, tap the photos to select them, tap the … button to Select All/None, or tap the checkmark next to the date/folder name to select a segment of photos.
- When you’ve finished selecting the photos to import, tap the Add button at the bottom of the screen to confirm your selection.
So if you can add photos from your camera roll, does this mean you can also add photos from your DSLR or mirrorless camera, perhaps using your tablet on vacation? Learn more next week!
Further posts are coming up over the next few weeks, explaining how to view and edit your photos, but if you’re keen to started in the meantime, you can download the full set of infographics right now. They’re yours to download absolutely FREE when you sign up for my monthly Lightroom newsletter using the form below. (Don’t worry, I won’t share your email address with anyone else. You can read previous issues of the newsletter here.)