The newest Mac operating system, macOS 10.12 Sierra, goes live later today. The big question is, does Lightroom work?
The good news is Lightroom CC 2015.7 and Lightroom 6.7, which are available right now, do work on Sierra. It’s possible that there are minor issues that haven’t been spotted yet, but it has been through extensive testing on Sierra and the known issues have been fixed.
Minor bugs reported in 2015.7 / 6.7 on Sierra
- Index numbers not displayed in Grid view
- Open at Layers in Photoshop only works if Photoshop is already open
- If you upgrade to Sierra BEFORE updating to 2015.7/6.7, some Import dialog panels are missing. Right-click on the File Handling panel header and reselect them from the menu (see screenshot below).
Lightroom CC 2015.6 / 6.6 and earlier
The bad news is, if you’re on Lightroom CC 2015.6 / 6.6 or earlier, you will need to update, but don’t worry, it’s a free update for Lightroom CC and Lightroom 6 users. Earlier LR CC/6 versions have known issues including:
- In the Import dialog, the Apply During Import and Destination panels are not visible.
- Canon cameras are not detected for tethering. Nikon cameras may also have issues.
- The message “Modify Exposure with +/- keys” is displayed during every launch.
- Right-clicking to access context menus anywhere in Lightroom throws an uncaught exception.
- Right-clicking a panel and choosing the option to show/hide the panels displays an error message. This issue can occur in all the Lightroom modules.
- In the Library module, clicking the Make or Model fields in the Metadata panel throws an error message, which may cause Lightroom to crash.
To update, go to the CC app and press the Update button, or go to Help menu > Updates from within Lightroom.
Older Lightroom Versions
Older Lightroom versions are not supported, and will not be updated. They haven’t been extensively tested, but I upgraded to Sierra 10 days ago (developer’s GM build) and have done some initial testing. I’ll add new issues to this list as I hear about them.
- LR 3, 4, 5 – In the Import dialog, the Apply During Import and Destination panels are missing. To show them again, right-click on another panel header and reselect them in the menu.
- LR 3, 4, 5 – Canon, Nikon and Leica tethering do not work.
- LR 2, 3 4, 5 – The message “Modify Exposure with +/- keys” or similar is displayed during every launch
- LR 3 – Some direct camera connections not detected by Import dialog (workaround – use a card reader)
- LR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.0, 5.1 – Cosmetic sliders issues shown below:
If you want to upgrade to Lightroom CC/6, to help you decide whether to upgrade to a subscription or a perpetual license, there are pros, cons and purchase links on my How to Buy Lightroom page.