Some people – so far just Windows users – are finding that the LR5 beta’s crashing at startup. Oooops! It didn’t happen during prerelease testing, but it’s a beta!
It seems to be clashing with some earlier Lightroom preferences, but we haven’t figured out which one yet. The fix is quite simple – temporarily remove existing preference files.
LRuser24 wrote great instructions on the forum. Here’s his instructions:
1. Go to the “Preferences” folder (Win: C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences – you can also get to this by opening LR4 and going to Edit menu > Preferences > Presets tab > Show Lightroom Presets Folder button > double click on Preferences folder)
2. Delete “Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs” should it be there
3. Rename the “Preferences” folder to “PreferencesXY” or the like
4. Start LR5 – it should now start and create a new LR5 catalog
5. Stop LR5 again
6. Move your old LR1…4 preferences files from “PreferencesXY” folder to the newly created “Preferences” (so that LR1…4 retain their preferences)
7. Delete the “PreferencesXY” folder
8. Start LR5 again. Because it now only reads from its own prefs, it starts OK.
Adobe would love to take a look at all of the preference files that cause LR to crash, so they can find the cause of the crashes and fix them. You can post to the thread linked above, or send them direct to me at email@example.com and I’ll pass them on. If you’re sending me, it would help to know which windows version you’re using too. Thanks!
Update 17 April – Thanks for all the preferences files – Julie Kmoch of Adobe QE has now confirmed that she’s reproduced the bug in house, so they can now get an engineer on the case.