• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

"Zoom-in" performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

reach

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC 8.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi there,
I posted alread 2 performance-related questions here, but to be perfectly honest (with myself) there is literally only ONE usecase where performance really matters to me:
when I zoom into a RAW file. I haven't timed this, maybe it only takes from 1-2 seconds, but it is the most annoying issue for me when flicking through my holiday pictures to rate them.
Why do I do this so often? Mainly because I'm not a pro and so I often take pictures several times and later I'd like to use the sharpest.

My LR is set to create previews and smart-previews at import and I've already tried to use this feature to work with smart-previews only to speed up, but the annoying lag when zooming remains.
Could somebody give me a hint if I can bring this lag down to zero with a faster, more modern PC, GPU, PCIe attached SSDs, or a certain setting?

Note 1: with JPGs the lag is already virtually zero.

System info:
4th Gen i7, (on-chip GPU, not DirectX compatible, so LR doesn't recognize it as external) , Z77 chipset
Samsung 840 and 850 SSDs
16GB RAM (never managed to get LR use more than 5GB)
The RAWs are from a Fuji X-T3 or an EOS 6D.
2 screens but LR runs on only one with FullHD

I am assuming that you are using the Loupe mode to examine your images. In this case zoom (Z) by default attempts to view the image in 1:1 zoom ratio, that is one image pixel to one display pixel. If you don't already have 1:1 previews built Lightroom will have to create on on the fly based on the latest develop settings. This is the delay you are seeing. The higher the resolution of the raw source the longer it will take.

The only way around this is to pre-build your 1:1 previews. You can do this on import or on request by selecting the group of images you are going to rate and use the Library -> Previews -> Build 1:1 Previews.

Keep in mind that if you make any changes in the Develop module it will invalidate the 1:1 preview for that image so that it will have to be rebuilt the next time you zoom in. Also Develop does not use previews when zooming. It builds it's own preview and has it's own caching method to speed things up as you move through multiple images.

-louie

Hi Louie,
my LR is set to build 1:1 previews already. I also assumed this would mean no lag when zooming, but it doesn't.
Is this abnormal?

The Zoom function I'm using is triggered by either the space key, z key, or by left-clicking into the image.
I recently noted that this feature remembers the last zoom factor I chose, but it was and again is 1:1.

Are you implying that the lag should only be there in the develop module, not the library module? This would be great, I nned to test this tonight.

However - is there a way to reduce the lag to zero in the develop module?

Update: the zoom-in takes 4.5 seconds until the image is completely rendered!
Pretty bad IMO.

There's no way to reduce the lag to zero in Develop, although the length of the loading time will very much depend on many factors: size and type of the image file, number and type of any existing edits, location and size of Camera Raw Cache (for proprietary raw files) or location of Fast Load Data (for DNG files). And that's even before considering the power of the system being used.

With the pre-caching which now takes place in Develop (i.e. the next xx number of images are pre-cached), and with unedited raw files, I see hardly any delay before the fully rendered image is loaded in 1:1 view mode (on a 5 year old MacBookPro). But with edited files, I'd expect to see a fully rendered image in 1:1 mode within a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back