• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

YY before and after head scratching

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Simonius

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
A feature i have never used yet in LR as I havent understood how it works is the compare images 'before and after' with the 'YY' icon

Can someone explain it to me?

As it is it appears to only work witha single image - is this right?

I would like to be able to compare two separate images, a 'before and after' saved from photoshop, is that possible?

thanks

It only works with a single image and lets you compare the image's current condition with any previous state.

For example, let's say you've done other editing work but you're adding Clarity to the image, and you only want a subtle change. Right click the After, and choose Copy After's Settings to Before. It copies the current state over to Before, and so you can judge the Clarity slider's effect on your existing work. Almost like setting a benchmark for further work.

You can also copy to Before from the History panel - again right click. Again it's when you want a subtle comparison of the image's current state with how it looked before.

I use it often, not all the time.

John

It only works with a single image and lets you compare the image's current condition with any previous state.

For example, let's say you've done other editing work but you're adding Clarity to the image, and you only want a subtle change. Right click the After, and choose Copy After's Settings to Before. It copies the current state over to Before, and so you can judge the Clarity slider's effect on your existing work. Almost like setting a benchmark for further work.

You can also copy to Before from the History panel - again right click. Again it's when you want a subtle comparison of the image's current state with how it looked before.

John

Thanks for the explanation John;)

Pity there's no way to compare different renditions of the same image done outside LR:cry:

If you want to compare two separate images, do so in Library - C for Compare or N.

John

John

Just wanted to add that another way to choose the Before state is to drag and drop it from the History panel on to the Before preview itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back