Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 5 version 5.0
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
iMac OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4 Lightroom 5 Perpetual License
Ver 5.0 64-bit Camera Raw 8.1

I ran into 3 LR Picture folder name mistakes. These mistakes are also on the disk. I have not touched any of it yet. There is a time added to the folder name after the date, like 556AM.
I have just one way to name all my Lightroom folders. These folder names are mirrored on the Lightroom working disk. All my Lightroom picture folders have the same naming structure. It never varies. So I do not know why these specific folder names have added time characters to the name. Not important. I want the time gone from the folder name.

I name LR folders in Finder, when I am making up new picture folders. I download new pictures from a card (through Nikon NX2 [Transfer]) into a temporary number- named folder on disk. (This is the number to be in the final folder name. But the folder name at this stage does not have all it’s final name on it, just it’s folder number, which was done in Finder.) Later this number name is merged into the full folder name structure, also done in Finder.

I download pictures into this number folder and when I’m finished deleting photos from it (using NX2) and renaming the photo files left in the new folder (also using NX2 . I close NX2 and use Finder to enlarge photo folder name into it’s full structure. [I don’t use Lightroom to name folders or files. I don’t know if I can auto rename photo files in Finder, esp. if they contain sequence numbers. Not important. (?)]

The question I am asking is very simple for you. But I have to give out all the information I can first, before asking it.

I am using Victoria’s Lightroom CC/6 The Missing FAQ as my reference as to how to do this. I have not touched these folder names yet because I know LR will start a conflict notification when I change them on Disk. (As I said before. There is no conflict now because the Disk and Lightroom folder names are the same…carrying the same time mistake. I have changed nothing yet.) I want to check all this with you first.

I have no Smart Previews. The Mistake folders place of residence or path on Disk has not changed and will not change after renaming. I have to rename these 3 folders.

My Lightroom Photo Folder path is: LIGHTROOM PHOTOS (highest parent folder) > ORIGINAL PHOTOS (2nd tier parent folder) > YEAR (3rd tier parent folder) > (Individual photo folders). These Individual photo folders I’m wanting to change do not all belong to the same YEAR folder. Photo Folders 130 & 131 are last in YEAR parent folder 2013 and Photo Folder 132 begins YEAR parent folder 2014.

When I finally take out the extra time character mistake on all 3 folder names and Lightroom shows a conflict…Victoria says: If you could rename the folder back and then redo the name in Lightroom. (So if I changed the folder name on Disk , I would then only have to, likewise, change the name in Lightroom?) Or if I changed nothing on the Disk, but renamed the folders in Lightroom, would the Disk automatically reflect my changes to the folder names made in Lightroom? How should I treat this? I want to make sure.

After correcting this I would manually change the mistakes on two other external backup hard drives that are mirrors of my Lightroom photos drive, but do not point to it.

I won't be able to get back with you tomorrow, but I will get back!

Thank You So Much For Your Help,

Thank You,

Sandy

Lightroom folders are the real folders. Renaming folders in Lightroom renames them on the disk.

iMac OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4 Lightroom 5 Perpetual License
Ver 5.0 64-bit Camera Raw 8.1

I ran into 3 LR Picture folder name mistakes. These mistakes are also on the disk. I have not touched any of it yet. There is a time added to the folder name after the date, like 556AM.
I have just one way to name all my Lightroom folders. These folder names are mirrored on the Lightroom working disk. All my Lightroom picture folders have the same naming structure. It never varies. So I do not know why these specific folder names have added time characters to the name. Not important. I want the time gone from the folder name.

I name LR folders in Finder, when I am making up new picture folders. I download new pictures from a card (through Nikon NX2 [Transfer]) into a temporary number- named folder on disk. (This is the number to be in the final folder name. But the folder name at this stage does not have all it’s final name on it, just it’s folder number, which was done in Finder.) Later this number name is merged into the full folder name structure, also done in Finder.

I download pictures into this number folder and when I’m finished deleting photos from it (using NX2) and renaming the photo files left in the new folder (also using NX2 . I close NX2 and use Finder to enlarge photo folder name into it’s full structure. [I don’t use Lightroom to name folders or files. I don’t know if I can auto rename photo files in Finder, esp. if they contain sequence numbers. Not important. (?)]

The question I am asking is very simple for you. But I have to give out all the information I can first, before asking it.

I am using Victoria’s Lightroom CC/6 The Missing FAQ as my reference as to how to do this. I have not touched these folder names yet because I know LR will start a conflict notification when I change them on Disk. (As I said before. There is no conflict now because the Disk and Lightroom folder names are the same…carrying the same time mistake. I have changed nothing yet.) I want to check all this with you first.

I have no Smart Previews. The Mistake folders place of residence or path on Disk has not changed and will not change after renaming. I have to rename these 3 folders.

My Lightroom Photo Folder path is: LIGHTROOM PHOTOS (highest parent folder) > ORIGINAL PHOTOS (2nd tier parent folder) > YEAR (3rd tier parent folder) > (Individual photo folders). These Individual photo folders I’m wanting to change do not all belong to the same YEAR folder. Photo Folders 130 & 131 are last in YEAR parent folder 2013 and Photo Folder 132 begins YEAR parent folder 2014.

When I finally take out the extra time character mistake on all 3 folder names and Lightroom shows a conflict…Victoria says: If you could rename the folder back and then redo the name in Lightroom. (So if I changed the folder name on Disk , I would then only have to, likewise, change the name in Lightroom?) Or if I changed nothing on the Disk, but renamed the folders in Lightroom, would the Disk automatically reflect my changes to the folder names made in Lightroom? How should I treat this? I want to make sure.

After correcting this I would manually change the mistakes on two other external backup hard drives that are mirrors of my Lightroom photos drive, but do not point to it.

I won't be able to get back with you tomorrow, but I will get back!

Thank You So Much For Your Help,

Thank You,

Sandy
Lightroom folders are the real folders. Renaming folders in Lightroom renames them on the disk.
Thank You, Wanted to make sure.
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back