• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Yet another LrC update

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegjr

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Is it just me but is anyone else annoyed with constant LrC updates? I understand fixing issues but new functionality every time too? It's a bit disturbing to me.

Is it just me but is anyone else annoyed with constant LrC updates? I understand fixing issues but new functionality every time too? It's a bit disturbing to me.
Greg,

Adobe is on a two month release cycle for LrC. The old model was a numerical upgrade, e.g. LR 6, with a "big bang" of new features.

You aren't being forced to do the upgrades, unlike say Microsoft.

Greg,

Adobe is on a two month release cycle for LrC. The old model was a numerical upgrade, e.g. LR 6, with a "big bang" of new features.

You aren't being forced to do the upgrades, unlike say Microsoft.
Name is George not Greg.

Yes I know I'm not being forced to upgrade but I'm not talking about major upgrades I'm talking about updates. And not doing the updates is like not updating device drivers. Besides I pay the subscription fee so I'd be stupid not to install the updates. BTW, Microsoft doesn't force you to upgrade either but at some point Microsoft stops supporting older versions just Adobe and most other software developers. Besides the post isn't about Microsoft.

The question was is anyone else tired of the constant updates?

Last edited:
Hi Gordon, My experience is that is see a "What's New" post from Victoria in the forum.
I click "Update All" in the CC Desktop App, then go back to doing my previous task.
I don't see Updates as onerous or annoying. And I do appreciate the 2-month cycle of updates.

General feedback is that people like more regular updates - new cameras and lenses, especially bug fixes, and having one or two new features (albeit they are sometimes small like this time) gives a feeling that we're getting something for our monthly subscriptions.

As well as blog posts each update, we also display a banner at the top of the Forum page to alert to new updates (with links to the blog posts).

But as mentioned, you can turn off auto updates if you wish (in the CC App) - but it's a shame to miss at least the bug fixes.

If you are one of the users that has encountered a bug in your version of Lightroom you want it fixed immediately. If you buy a new camera, you want its RAW version support in the latest version of LrC. Adobe provides this on a regular, usually, bimonthly cycle. If you don't have an issue with the bugs in your installed version and aren't getting a new camera, you can ignore the periodic updates.

Name is George not Greg.
I apologize.

Yes I know I'm not being forced to upgrade but I'm not talking about major upgrades I'm talking about updates. And not doing the updates is like not updating device drivers. Besides I pay the subscription fee so I'd be stupid not to install the updates. BTW, Microsoft doesn't force you to upgrade either but at some point Microsoft stops supporting older versions just Adobe and most other software developers. Besides the post isn't about Microsoft.

The question was is anyone else tired of the constant updates?
I would prefer if Adobe did separate updates to fix errors, and to introduce new features.

I mentioned Microsoft only because of their influence over the industry overall.

If you don't have an issue with the bugs in your installed version and aren't getting a new camera, you can ignore the periodic updates.
Thanks for that, I didn't think I could do that, skip minor updates that is. I haven't purchased a new camera in years, in fact the last camera I got is attached to my phone, the Samsung Note 9 and I got it after it was on market for a year. I still use Sony A99M2 and A77M2. In addition, I'm not into all the editing stuff so most new editing tweaks don't interest me either. If I have serious editing I do it in Photoshop with the help of tutorials. So, I will take your advice and only do the major upgrades. I will of course read the blogs posted by Victoria and Paul about bug fixes and if any affect me I'll do the update.

I would prefer if Adobe did separate updates to fix errors, and to introduce new features.
To do as you ask there would have to be parallel release tracks, including the quite time consuming QC and pre-release testing programs. This would substantially add to the workload, and so overall slow down everything (or increase costs). Since a lot of QC is done by volunteers, you also then have to try to find volunteers to test new releases WITHOUT functional changes, taking away some of their motivation, making it harder to find volunteers.

Further, even costs aside, parallel development tracks always complicates software development, in terms of ensuring all bugs fixed in one gets incorporated into the other. Adobe is already really bad at managing regression errors, they would only get worse.

Taking that path would likely require the feature releases get delayed a lot longer, so as to have less moving parts in the overlapping areas. And if new camera support is in the feature releases, will REALLY irritate early adopters of new cameras, people often loud in social media circles.

It's really not an attractive path if you are Adobe for all sorts of reasons. I get the reason to want it, I just suspect it will never happen.

skip minor updates that is
In fact, there is not really "minor" and "major" updates, just updates every 2 months or so.
Granted, once a year, (usuallly around October) the update changes the release number (9, 10, 11, and probably 12 next October), but these updates are not different from the updates in the year (correcting bugs and adding some features), except that they often implies an update of the catalog (which make it no longer compatible with the previous releases).

It’s a bit in between these days. The difference between two main version numbers is certainly not as big anymore as it used to be in the perpetual license days, but Adobe does try to let major new features that require a catalog upgrade coincide with the new main version number upgrades during Adobe MAX in October. Think about the new masking for example. Such a major new feature would normally not be introduced during the rest of the year, but smaller new features are indeed released during the year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back