• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Yet another file sharing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replytoken

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic v. 9.x
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
My nephew has continued to take an interest in photography and is now learning about post processing.:thumbsup: He has a subscription to LR Classic and while we have talked on occasion and done a few video sessions where he has watched me or I have coached him, he is occasionally sending raw images to me via Google Drive. I am happy to process a few so we can later discuss, but I was wondering if there was any workflow that might be easier than my having to download the image and then having to upload an exported image after I have processed it. It would be great if I could edit the image "in place" but I cannot see that happening unless an account synched to my machine. Ideally I would like to not only share what I worked on, but also the catalog so he could see the steps I took. For some reason, I am drawing a blank on any workflow that might be a bit more streamlined. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

Ken, you can get part way by using the "image contribution" feature which is available using the Adobe cloud. The basic steps would be:

1. Using either the LrWeb app or the Lightroom Desktop app, create an empty album. In the share settings box, set it to Invite only, enter your nephew's email address (the same email address that is associated with his Adobe subscription), and ensure that "Can Contribute" is enabled. Click the "Invite" button and an invitation email will be sent to your nephew. If you need screenshots of how to setup the share settings, let me know (though I would imagine they'll be in one of Victoria's books, probably the Edit Like a Pro book).

2. Once the email is received, and your nephew clicks on the "View Album" link in the email, it will open the empty album in a bowser window, with an "Add Photos" button. He than then use that button to add any images from his local system to the shared album.

3. Those images will then appear in the shared album in your apps (LrWeb, LrDesktop, and LrC). Note, they are added to the album owner's cloud storage (i.e. yours) and of course will count against your storage allowance. Being the owner of the album, you have full edit control over them, so you can edit as much as you want.

4. The results of your edits will be synced back to the shared album that your nephew is viewing (because it's the same album). However, that album would only be available in either the LrWeb app or the LrDesktop app, or any LrMobile app that he may use.....but it will NOT be available in LrC.

So basically, he would see the results of your edits, but he'd be unable to see the individual edit history. As I said, part way there, it's a fairly slick way of getting a copy of his images directly into your LrC for you to edit, but it's not everything you want to ideally achieve.

We're hoping that this collaboration is a work in progress and that some improvements will be made in due course.

Another method (which does preserve the history) is to use ‘Export as catalog’ and ‘Import from another catalog’. He would use Export as catalog and send that catalog to you. All he needs to do is include smart previews, originals are not needed. You would make the edits in this catalog, and then send it back. He would import it again to get your edits into his main catalog.

Thank you. These are both good suggestions for consideration. I know that he is excited to learn more about post processing, and I want to help, so I am going to see what might work for him.

Thanks,

--Ken

Another option maybe is to share your desktop to show how you do it.
Yes, I did that as well as had him share his desktop wit me giving guidance. We are a couple of time zones apart, so this does add a challenge to working in real time. Ideally, I would want to share the catalog with him so he can see the history and then try to learn from it, build on it or use it as a comparison. If I could do this from a desktop folder that had a sync function, that would be ideal so I do not need to keep downloading and uploading files.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back