x-rite and camera calibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigbrandau

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I am having issues editing and creating camera calibration profiles. I have an x-rite camera profile that I want to import into the camera calibrations. I have installed the x-rite plug in, but need to know what to to from there. I have attached a screen shot hoping that will help.

Thanks so much in advance!
ss.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know the plugin, but look for the plugin extras items in the menus

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Actually, and arcanely, it's under Export as X-rite preset for Color Checker Pro.

Incidentally, that looks a bit over-exposed. I've found you actually need to under-expose a bit, or it will complain that some channels are blown. I'd recommend if shooting these at some venue you do a bracket then use the one that is brightest that works.

Don't forget if doing something like an outdoor arena night lighting, you may want to combine it with a daylight shot as well, which will give you a dual illumination profile which you can then use if shooting afternoon into evening as the lights come on, it kind of interpolates between.

Actually, and arcanely, it's under Export as X-rite preset for Color Checker Pro.

Incidentally, that looks a bit over-exposed. I've found you actually need to under-expose a bit, or it will complain that some channels are blown. I'd recommend if shooting these at some venue you do a bracket then use the one that is brightest that works.

Don't forget if doing something like an outdoor arena night lighting, you may want to combine it with a daylight shot as well, which will give you a dual illumination profile which you can then use if shooting afternoon into evening as the lights come on, it kind of interpolates between.

Thanks for your help! I think I have it figured out now. One question: How do I get rid of the previous camera profiles that I created? I need to reshoot the color checker in order to get a properly exposed photo...

Thanks for your help! I think I have it figured out now. One question: How do I get rid of the previous camera profiles that I created? I need to reshoot the color checker in order to get a properly exposed photo...

Thanks again Ferguson! I just figured it all out and the information you provided was key! If I wasn't already bald, I would be now because I've spent hours on this issue.

Best,
Craig

Glad you have it. Sorry for delay in response.

Do you have multiple camera bodies? There's some quirks to how profiles are used, and two (sort of mutually exclusive) approaches that may help if so.

The profile file itself has a name. In windows for example, I have files like this:

C:\Users\Ferguson\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Alico LED D5.dcp
C:\Users\Ferguson\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Alico LED D4.dcp

Obviously the path will be different in Mac but my point is the last part, the file name. By default this is the name you give it when you do the export. However, that export also puts a name internally and it is the internal, not the external name you see in Lightroom.

What I do is name the export WITHOUT the camera name when producing it. So for each of these my name was "Alico LED" (Alico is a stadium, and it got new LED lights). After I export it for my D4, I rename the file manually to include the D4 name, and do it again, rename with D5 name. That gives me two profiles with the same internal name "Alico LED" but (as required of course just to exist) different external names.

When Lightroom is restarted it finds these, and this allows you to use the same profile name across different camera bodies, and Lightroom sorts it out which to use. It will not mis-match a profile and camera type (it uses internal identification); in fact it will not even show you a profile in the drop down for the wrong camera.

The other approach is leave them named differently, then you either manually do it by camera type when assigning the profile, or include it in the camera default setup.

The reason I prefer my way is I have lots of different profiles by venue. So whenever I do a shoot, I come back and manually attach the venue's profile. By doing this, I can attach it to one shot, and copy it to all the rest, and it sorts which camera's profile to use and I do not have to.

On a distantly related note, unlike develop presets, profiles are not "baked into" the develop settings. Changing them will retroactively change any photos developed with them (not instantly, but when re-evaluated for export). Also, if you move lightroom to a new computer, you must preserve them. Effectively you should, if doing new versions, give them new names and always keep all old versions forever (unless you want to allow new ones to change old photos). They don't explain that very well in most documentation.

Thanks again Linwood! I've got all of that figured out. However I am having trouble with one thing. I have an untitled camera profile that I want to remove, but cannot find the file. I have looked in the Adobe Camera Files, but it's not there, nor are the other ones that I made:

Last edited:
I think you are in the wrong place. I think that's the kit-provided ones (and you shouldn't put yours there).

See: Lightroom CC / 6 Default Locations - The Lightroom Queen

The location should be something like: Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

You should see only those that you are creating in the area you find, not ones provided by Lightroom/Photoshop (plus an index file).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back