• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Wrong Metadata On Export Of Original File

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonplantphoto

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi,
Ive used LR for many years but it still throws me into confusion at times especially with Metadata.
This is either user error or a bug....

So I sometime need to move some files DNG,PSD,PSB from my archive catalog to my working catalog to maybe rework an image for a client etc.
I do this by Export-with Image format set to original and if available with all metadata selected.
I then open my working catalog go to the folder where I exported the files and sync that folder.
The images pop up ok BUT the meatdata Caption and keywords are populated with a totally unrelated caption and keywords from a previous job from weeks before.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this yet another bug ?

Regards Simon

Check your import settings (syncing a folder is just importing). You may have a metadata preset that is spplied on import.

Hi Johan
I did check that but I’m right clicking on folder and choosing sync no import preset is selected.
Simon
Like I already said: sychronize folder is the same as import. In the Stnchronize Folder dialog you can check the option to show the import dialog, so do that and make sure you do not apply a metadata preset.

Is this scenario present.

I found (what I believe to be a bug, but Adobe do not) in relation to metadata as follows.
Import an image (say raw), update metadata (say title to Title123) and export as jpg.
Realise there is an error in the metadata.... it should be Title789.
Edit the original raw file metadata to Title789, export with same settings, overwriting the initial jpg.
When reviewing the resultant exported image, the metadata will be incorrect (in either/or the catalog metadata or jpg metadata, not sure which without re-checking). It will contain the initial Title123 data.

Solution. (Simple and engrained in my DNA at this stage.)
Delete the Catalog entry for the exported jpg and delete the exported jpg file. I select the exported jpg in Lr and delete the file from the disk. This will also remove it from the catalog.
Now re-export the jpg and the metadata will be correct.

This is the most basic of programming errors, where the metadata for an existing catalog entry is not initialised when it is been updated resulting from a new export which overwrites a previous image.

I have complained several times and documented this several times. Adobe specifically replied to me stating this was working as per spec. I have not check this recently, maybe it has been fixed. Too busy now to check.

Like I already said: sychronize folder is the same as import. In the Stnchronize Folder dialog you can check the option to show the import dialog, so do that and make sure you do not apply a metadata preset.
Ahh ok I see where you mean..that is almost a forgotten setting to me and I did re-check the show import and that might be the issue although doesn't quite replicate what I'm seeing entirely but I'll run some test and see if it fixes what I'm seeing.
Thanks for the help. Simon

Is this scenario present.

I found (what I believe to be a bug, but Adobe do not) in relation to metadata as follows.
Import an image (say raw), update metadata (say title to Title123) and export as jpg.
Realise there is an error in the metadata.... it should be Title789.
Edit the original raw file metadata to Title789, export with same settings, overwriting the initial jpg.
When reviewing the resultant exported image, the metadata will be incorrect (in either/or the catalog metadata or jpg metadata, not sure which without re-checking). It will contain the initial Title123 data.

Delete the Catalog entry for the exported jpg and delete the exported jpg file. I select the exported jpg in Lr and delete the file from the disk. This will also remove it from the catalog.

This is the most basic of programming errors, where the metadata for an existing catalog entry is not initialised when it is been updated resulting from a new export which overwrites a previous image.

I have complained several times and documented this several times. Adobe specifically replied to me stating this was working as per spec. I have not check this recently, maybe it has been fixed. Too busy now to check.
Not sure I have an issue like that but I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks Simon

When you do the second export after correcting the title, the overwritten jpeg will show the Metadata Status warning icon on the thumbnail when you select it, at which point it's lot simpler to just click on that icon on the thumbnail and elect to import settings from disk. No need for that delete and re-export procedure.

When you do the second export after correcting the title, the overwritten jpeg will show the Metadata Status warning icon on the thumbnail when you select it, at which point it's lot simpler to just click on that icon on the thumbnail and elect to import settings from disk. No need for that delete and re-export procedure.
Good point..... had not thought of that ..... but in many cases I may be dealing with a batch of images, so much easier to select all the images previous exported with a single Ctrl/Cmd All , press the Del key and select remove from disk. So, option may depend on volume of images involved. For me, for the moment, I will keep doing what i have been doing, not to confuse myself further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back