• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Wrong keyword selected: Sugar vs. sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgphotography

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I've been having a weird problem with keywords for the past few updates (maybe about a year?).

I had a dog named Sugar and for years could keyword photos "Sugar" that would add all the above words in its hierarchy (dog, Weimaraner, etc.). But suddenly one day if I type in "Sugar" with a capital S, even though I see both Sugar AND sugar (with a small S) in the autofill options and select the one with the capital, it will now always place the small S "sugar" in the final keywords box resulting in food being in there too since "sugar" is in the Food hierarchy.

Any one know why this is happening? Any idea on how to fix? The only option I currently have is to go to the Keyword List panel, find "Sugar" and then apply it from there. Thanks.

I tried to reproduce it in 9.2.1, but it always worked as expected, the selected keyword in the dop-down list was the one applied.
Note that the order in the list can change. The KW at the top is the latest used. For example, I assigned the keyword "sugar" (with lowercase). On the next image, I typed S (uppercase), the keyword "sugar" was at the top of the list and selected. If i hit Enter or Tab, despite the fact that I type uppercase S, it's the lowercase keyword "sugar" that is assigned. I should have explicitly selected the uupercase "Sugar".

However, I think there is an inconsistency (bug) in the way lowercase and uppercase are handled by LR.
If I try to add "sugar" then "Sugar" in the same parent keyword, the second is rejected by LR saying that "sugar" already exists in this hierarchy. This implies that LR is case insensitive when creating keyword, and therefore see "sugar" and "Sugar" as the same word.
However, when "sugar" and "Sugar" are in a differrent hierarchy, they are not presented with the hierarchy in the drop-down list, as it does for identical words in 2 different hierarchy. This is not coherent.
Having them presented with the hierarchy as it should, would avoid assignement error.

Thanks for your reply. However I'm not sure what you mean in your final statement about avoiding assignment error. This system where I had Sugar in the animal hierarchy and sugar in the food hierarchy worked for many many years and now it doesn't. Sugar is now always replaced by sugar when I type it into the autofill box AND it even will change from the capital to the lowercase word even if I type it directly into the main keywords box. The change from capital to lowercase happens right after selecting the word or hitting enter.

As I said, I couldn't reproduce it. Your behavior might another pernicious effect of a corrupted Preference file. Could you try after resetting the Preferences?
I'm not sure what you mean in your final statement about avoiding assignment error
Since the 2 keywords are displayed in the drop-down list without their hierarchy, its easy to pick the wrong one.

I started to submit a new bug report but found one from a year ago (that I had submitted!):
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...ase?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all
Please add details about your particular issue to that bug report and click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe might eventually fix the bug. (Though they've put very little effort into Library in the past many years.)

As a clumsy workaround, you can type "sugar < pet" or "sugar < food" in the Keywording box to get the desired keyword, without having to descend into the Keyword List.

I started to submit a new bug report but found one from a year ago (that I had submitted!):
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...ase?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all
Please add details about your particular issue to that bug report and click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe might eventually fix the bug. (Though they've put very little effort into Library in the past many years.)

As a clumsy workaround, you can type "sugar < pet" or "sugar < food" in the Keywording box to get the desired keyword, without having to descend into the Keyword List.
Thank you so very much for the workaround! I could not log in to the above site to check the Me Too and follow - another frustration! It kept telling me I was logged in and I could close the pop up box but then it wouldn't recognize that I was signed in. I tried 4 times and have now given up :confused:

Adobe was having company-wide issues with its login servers a few days ago, so maybe you were a victim of that. If you have the patient, you could try again today.

Adobe was having company-wide issues with its login servers a few days ago, so maybe you were a victim of that. If you have the patient, you could try again today.
They must still be having the problem since I attempted this just minutes ago.

I think it's likely a different problem, since the company-wide login issue affected a large number of the company's services, and they seem ok now. But thanks for trying.

I think it's likely a different problem, since the company-wide login issue affected a large number of the company's services, and they seem ok now. But thanks for trying.
I can’t even log in on my iPhone. It pops up multiple windows to enter email and then password but then I’m not logged in on the thread page and refreshing the page doesn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back