• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Wrong date picked up renaming video files - with workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

camner

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LRCC 7.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
After importing images & videos, I use the LR internal rename process to prepend the date to the file name. For still images, the date that LR uses for the prepend is the date the image was taken, which is what I want.

For videos this isn't the case. Look at the screenshot below. Notice that the Capture Date is 4/18/18 but that LR wants to use 4/20/18 as the date to prepend to the file name.
10103-676ccae294bb081536cf13ddaf7f2aec.jpg

This happens consistently with video files since version 7 came out.

After experimentation, I found the following workaround:
1. Select the video file(s)
2. Go to Metadata-->Edit Capture Time
3. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING! Just click the "Change" button

After that, the file rename dialog box will look like this:

10104-17d23e28dc70f8ded2bfa2a0a9541349.jpg

The date is now correct. You'll notice that LR has created a Date Time Original field (makes sense) and has filled in a Date Time field that was empty originally.

Obviously, another workaround is to rename before import (outside of LR), but if one uses LR Mobile to sync automatically (say, from an iPhone), that isn't possible.

Note: This trick of opening the Edit Capture Time dialog box and making no changes also seems to work (albeit less consistently) to solve another issue: Video files that have the correct Capture Time but are sorted incorrectly in the filmstrip (and in the Library module)...they show up by the import date rather than the creation date. Sometimes, to get the videos to sort correctly I have to change the date/time and then change it back (if I have multiple files I just add an hour and then subtract an hour). This workaround sometimes fails and there is no way to get the video file to sort correctly (at least I haven't found a way).

Attachments

• LR1-04_21_2018.png
    LR1-04_21_2018.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 582
  • LR2-04_21_2018.png
    LR2-04_21_2018.png
    571.3 KB · Views: 523
Thanks for sharing the workaround camner!

Update as of 1/19/2019: LR CC Classic 8.1 does not appear to show this behavior. The last set of iPhone videos I synced via LR Mobile and renamed within LR CC Classic picked up the correct capture date. I also have not recently run into the issue of video files sorting incorrectly in the filmstrip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back