• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Writing EXIF description in LR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrandt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello there,

I shoot analog photography so I need to write EXIF metadata to my scan files.
I've been doing so with two external software AnalogExif an LensTager.
They all have their pro's and cons... I'm still in search for my ideal workflow...

I've been told it's possible in LR to write a EXIF metadata in the field called "Description".
I did a text with LensTager and the text I put in Description shows up in the field called "Caption".
It is this normal or LR calling this field "Caption" instead of "Description" ?

Is there a way to see all the EXIF fields in LR even the ones with no data in them ?

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 22.13.30.jpg

Caption = Description. Description = Caption. They're alternative names for the same field, and you can enter them in LR.

Be careful to distinguish between EXIF, which is camera data, and the IPTC fields like caption.

Also notice my plugin jbCaptureTimeToExif which is designed for film workflow. For example, you could use it to set the EXIF camera maker and model to your Canon Camera, or to set the date when the picture was shot.

Caption = Description. Description = Caption. They're alternative names for the same field, and you can enter them in LR.

Be careful to distinguish between EXIF, which is camera data, and the IPTC fields like caption.

Also notice my plugin jbCaptureTimeToExif which is designed for film workflow. For example, you could use it to set the EXIF camera maker and model to your Canon Camera, or to set the date when the picture was shot.

Hey. If Description = Caption, then it means that either the LensTagger plug is also writing IPTC metadata not only EXIT or that Lightroom is doing some trick.

I don't usually set the time when the picture was shot because it is too hard to track when 36 exposure which I sometimes shoot on 3 different dates to finish a roll. But what would recommend to write Film stock brand and type ? Because I believe that EXIF does not have a specific field for this. I could rename a field with the Jeffrey metadata viewer. Or is that not to recommendable to rename fields ?

I got curious because I'm one who does a lot of metadata tagging. I Googled and found this LR plug-in LensTagger – Exiftool Lightroom Plugin. In the documentation, it lists being able to tag. However, it does look like it repurposes some existing tags

Film Make: Manufacturer of the used Film (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Film Type: Name/Type of the Film (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
ISO: Box Speed of the used Film
Exposure Index: At what speed the Film has been exposed (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Developer: Used Developer name (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Time: Development Time (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Paper: Paper Type/name used (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Paper Developer: Paper Developer used (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Paper Toner: Paper Toner used (This data gets written into the UserComment field)

I got curious because I'm one who does a lot of metadata tagging. I Googled and found this LR plug-in LensTagger – Exiftool Lightroom Plugin. In the documentation, it lists being able to tag. However, it does look like it repurposes some existing tags

Film Make: Manufacturer of the used Film (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Film Type: Name/Type of the Film (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
ISO: Box Speed of the used Film
Exposure Index: At what speed the Film has been exposed (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Developer: Used Developer name (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Time: Development Time (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Paper: Paper Type/name used (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Paper Developer: Paper Developer used (This data gets written into the UserComment field)
Paper Toner: Paper Toner used (This data gets written into the UserComment field)

Hello,
Yep. I'm currently using LensTagger as a LR plugin for my workflow when importing analog scans.

Indeed, I saw when using the plugin that a lot of LensTagger fields get written in the UserComment field.
With this, I would say LensTagger real added value seems it's writting stuff in the Camera make, model and ISO fields which are independent from the UserComment. The UserComment can be directly edited in Lightroom itself.

Oops. Sorry Alex. I didn't read far enough back to your original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back