• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Working with a Copy of a Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Hewitt

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Ligthroom Classic 8.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Please could someone advise that this should be the correct workflow
  • On my desktop Export as a Catalog a folder of around 9,000 photos, but only export the Previews and Smart Previews and NOT the original raw files
  • Copy it all (around 20GB) to my laptop
  • Make changes to the images in LR Classic on the laptop
  • Transfer the .LRCAT file ONLY back to the desktop
  • Import from a catalog on the desktop using the file I uploaded from my laptop
    • I assume my desktop will now merge the laptop catalog into the main catalog and I will have the modified images available.

Or must I upload the previews and smart previews as well?

Best wishes
Terry

That would work fine. So maybe your next step is to test it on a small scale.

Should work but may be simpler to:

1. make sure you have smart previews for images of interest on desktop (may want to remove smart previews from images your done with)
  2. close LR on both computers
  3. copy catalog and various other "previews" folders (especially the Smart Previews folder) to Laptop
  4. work on laptop.

5) Copy catalog back to desktop from laptop (with Smart Previews folder if desired)

If you use a tool for the copying that only copies "changed" files if you do it a 2nd time most of the smart previews would be skipped in the copy process

John,

Thanks, and I should have thought of a small test. Just done some tests and it does want I expected and want.

Thanks very much.

Best wishes
Terry

Should work but may be simpler to:

1. make sure you have smart previews for images of interest on desktop (may want to remove smart previews from images your done with)
  2. close LR on both computers
  3. copy catalog and various other "previews" folders (especially the Smart Previews folder) to Laptop
  4. work on laptop.
5) Copy catalog back to desktop from laptop (with Smart Previews folder if desired)

If you use a tool for the copying that only copies "changed" files if you do it a 2nd time most of the smart previews would be skipped in the copy process

Califdan

I understand and that would also work. I was reluctant to do that as the desktop catalog has 60,000 images in and I didn't want to risk making a mess of that.
and getting rid of the not needed smart previews would be a pain.

I can certainly see when I would use it though.

Thanks for the advice.

Best wishes
Terry

Califdan's method is what I actually do - since the introduction of smart previews made it viable to have large numbers of images available on the laptop. Providing you backup your main catalogue, it's probably more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back