Status
Not open for further replies.

rarebird

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System:Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info):6.13

Hello, I sent an email to [email protected] a couple of days ago without response so I am not sure where and who received it so I am reposting here thanks...........

I have just purchased both Lightroom6 and LightroomCC/6 Missing FAQs book.

I have tried using both the spot fix and healing tool in LR6 to remove unwanted material (branches) from a dng photo however the tools keep dragging unwanted material from other parts of the photo (ie. its selection of the area to replace the unwanted branches is too broad and also the tool leaves obvious edges after the fix. I am used to using the spot heal and clone tools in PS elements 14 which only use the material (pixels) in the immediate area of the required fix and which appears to be more sophisticated/different system.

So my question is please... Working in Lightroom6, how do I open PSe14 from Lightroom and make the necessary adjustments to the Lightroom active dng file (image) and then save it back to the original dng file to continue editing in Lightroom? (I note that a dng file opens in "Camera Raw in PSe 14) but when I have tried saving the file, PSe14 wants to save it as a jpeg with no option to save back to the Lightroom dng file?

Thankyou
Rarebird

Edits you make in Photoshop Elements cannot be saved back to the DNG file. PSE will always create a TIFF/PSD/JPEG copy. The reason is that the DNG contains raw data, and PSE has converted these raw data to RGB. So to keep you from destroying your raw file, PSE will not allow you to save the edited file to DNG (even though DNG can contain RGB data as well).

I think you have described my main frustration with Lightroom. When you attempt to clone a tiny part of the image at 100% the clone selection point is often completely different to what you need and usually shoots way outside the window you are working in.

But I wonder if you have begun to use all the options that are available to you in Lightroom. You can easily control the size of the selection and the amount of feather required. It's usually possible to do a decent job using these.

I suspected I might not be able to export and open dng file in PSe so thanks for the confirmation.
Regarding the Spot Healing and Clone tools I will do some more experimentation with these.

Rarebird

Hello, I sent an email to [email protected] a couple of days ago without response so I am not sure where and who received it so I am reposting here thanks........

Hi rarebird. Sorry, I usually aim to reply within 48 hours, but it can run slightly longer over the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back