• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!
  • Are you using Lightroom CC on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV or in a web browser? Are you syncing your photos to the cloud? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro! It shows you how to use the full Lightroom CC ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also learn the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily.

Workflow question - How do you manage edits? (Flagging)

TimWatts

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom Version
LR Android 3.6
Operating System
iOS, Android
OK - assume you already have a pick/rate/cull system in place...

How do you folks keep track of what needs edits, or what you think might be improved by an edit?

In Classic, I might use the Red flag to mark something for retouching.

But we don't have flags in CC. So I thought about a simple keyword like "Edit". But then I noticed you cannot filter by keyword - and of course, CC keywords don't sync to Classic.

I suppose I could put a magic keyword in the subtitle - but I was interested in what other folks did :)

Cheers! Tim.

Jimmsp

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
This is one reason I do all my serious editing in Classic on my pc.
I use LR CC simply as a carrier for the photos I take with my phone, and I will do some preliminary editing in LR CC on a few photos only.
This "prelim" editing is only on photos I might share on social media.

johnbeardy

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
In CC you do have flags - Pick, Unpicked, Rejects. It's "labels" that you don't have, sadly, so instead of a red colour label I would suggest using flags or ratings. But I would agree with Jim in not regarding CC as a serious editing tool, more a convenience.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I work on the basis that anything 3 star or above needs editing. I often dump them into an @edit album as a workflow type collection. I also have @inbox, @photoshop and similar albums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TimWatts

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
In CC you do have flags - Pick, Unpicked, Rejects. It's "labels" that you don't have, sadly, so instead of a red colour label I would suggest using flags or ratings. But I would agree with Jim in not regarding CC as a serious editing tool, more a convenience.
Noted terminology error on my part :)

I agree. CC is a great rating and review tool - and critical to me as I can use 3 hours / day on a train to/from work to mash through my collection. It is an essential part of my workflow for that reason. That works really well - 2 days and I've done a pick/reject on all of 2018!!! (4554 down to 1483 picks).
Next is a sweep of picks for a 1-star.

I envisage doing basic crops and maybe fiddling with the lighting/colour so see if a photo has potential in CC. But for pretty much all final edits, I agree, I'd want to review on Classic with a decent screen.

I'm happy with my rating workflow - but I have not come up with a good editing workflow yet.

johnbeardy

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
.... as I can use 3 hours / day on a train to/from work to mash through my collection....
Lightroom Mobile shows its true worth in South East England....

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Noted terminology error on my part :)
I have not come up with a good editing workflow yet.
In CC on my phone I apply "auto" exposure settings then I apply one of my presets for noise reduction and sharpening. Then adjust the "light" settings using the histogram as a guide.and then "colour" (white balance). Sometimes will also crop. Will fine tune in and finish off in Classic.

Wine is not limited to Fridays.