• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Work with 2 computers using a solid state hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulN

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC 8 desktop
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
With a residence in USA and Italy, I'm trying to move my catalog and my photos (about 90,000) to a 2 Tb Solid State hard drive. I've copied my photos to the drive and, I think, my catalog. Then I go folder by folder to open the files on the hard drive using locate photos. Then to actually get the photos to appear, I use the synchronize function. This process doesn't seem to capture my LR adjustments, keywords etc. What am I doing wrong?

Your LR adjustments are managed in the master LR catalog file and this should also be on this 2TB Solid-state drive. and it should be this same catalog that gets opened by the LR app whether you are in the US or Italy. IOW, your are traveling with the portable 2TB Solid State Drive with all of your critical user data. You are using a computer (presumably different computer ) to run LR and access this catalog file. With a Windows computer, this 2TB SSD will need to be assigned the same drive letter on each instance of Windows that is running.
If you are traveling with your master image data and master catalog you should have a complete backup of the contents of the 2TB SSD in that event that disk gets lost or damaged in transit.

Thank you, Cletus: Appreciate your good advice about traveling with a backup (conventional) drive with my photos and the LR Catalog file.
I thought I moved the LR Catalog to the hard drive along with the photos. For this I simply used the Windows file transfer procedures. Yet when I try to access my photos on the SSD hard drive, I can only see my photos after I use the Locate Missing Files procedure and then sync photos. Once again, when I used this procedure, I don't seem to be getting any editing history or keywords. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

In order to figure out what you are doing wrong, I first need to understand what you did.
Where exactly is the Lightroom Catalog file? I need the full path including the Drive letter. You can determine this by checking the Location item in the "Information" section of the "General" Tab of the "Catalog Settings" menu item. Now In the Lightroom Library check the "Show in File Explorer" menu item of any of the files that are supposed to be on the 2TB SSD. Do the Drive
letters agree?
Which computer location (US or Italia) are you attempting to do the above?

With a residence in USA and Italy, I'm trying to move my catalog and my photos (about 90,000) to a 2 Tb Solid State hard drive. I've copied my photos to the drive and, I think, my catalog. Then I go folder by folder to open the files on the hard drive using locate photos. Then to actually get the photos to appear, I use the synchronize function. This process doesn't seem to capture my LR adjustments, keywords etc. What am I doing wrong?
What you are doing wrong is that you use the ‘Synchronize Folder’ command. That command is for importing new photos which are located in a folder that Lightroom already knows. It is basically a shortcut to the Import dialog.

You do not need to import anything, you have to ‘relink’ the catalog to the photos: Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

I will do some guesswork here:
All photos and catalogue are correctly stored in the external hard drive.
On the US computer the drive is assigned the letter drive E.
On the IT computer the drive is assigned the letter drive X (anything different from E).

Therefore the photos that are correctly referenced in the US computer will be missing in the IT computer. Once they are re-mapped correctly in the IT computer, the link will be broken on the US one and so on.

Suggest to assign the same letter to the same drive on both computer (for ex. L: for lightroom).

Sent using Tapatalk

Cletus, I seem to be working ok on my external drive now. I retransferred all my photo files and it seems now to be working. Thank you for your excellent assistance.

Hey PaulN,
I assume you figured out your problem by now. As Clytus suggested the issue was you were synchronizing. Synchronizing does not get adjustments that are in metadata sidecar files.. So if majority of your images are raw any edits made would be saved to sidecar file. That is assuming you had save metadata to xmp turned on in preferences. If you didn't then no adjustments made to raw files would be saved unless you exported to another format like a jpg or digital. Lightroom does not embed edits or other workflow settings into raw files. If you were opening the folder either by opening it from Explorer (or Finder) you should not have to synchronize anything.
Anyway I digress. That is not really why I'm writing. I am going to do what you did and transfer all my images and catalog and presets from a mechanical HD to a 2TB Samsung SSD. I am wondering since you fixed your sync issues how has your move to the SSD been otherwise? Have you gained any speed with retrieval and editing? Has there been any issues with the SSD?
Regards,
George

If you have a specific question for the OP, then it might be better to send him a PM. Reviving a two years old thread may not altert the OP of that thread that there is a new message after all this time. Or you could start a new thread and ask your question as a general question rather than a question for one specific person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back