Work on lightroom from multiple computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LinkTree

Hi,
I tried to C if someone talked about it and I could find any post -

My main computer handle lightroom very well but I would like to be able to access my lightroom library from a different computer (my laptop) is there a way to work on the same library from multiple lightroom clients?

How can I do this? (the files are on my home network)

Thanx,
LT

Hi LinkTree

You can't currently use a Lightroom catalog across a network, as the SQLite database that it's built on just isn't robust enough. Hopefully a future version!

That said, there's no reason why you can't copy the catalog across the network onto the computer that you're working on, and then copy it back when you've finished, as long as you're careful not to accidentally delete the wrong one.

There's a few other workarounds, but it would help to have an idea of what kind of work you'd like to do over the network - just importing new images, keywording existing images, etc.

And platform details would help - advise is different for Mac vs PC, so would you mind filling in your signature when you get a moment. There's instructions on the home page and screenshots at the top of the website troubleshooting forum.

And finally, welcome to Lightroom Forums! Great to have another new member!

Thanx for the quick response :)
I've updated my profile and added signature with system and gear information.

My question is derided to two:
1. First I would like to be able to work on my Macbook and edit/import work from my main library.
2. My wife started to photograph too and she have a LG Notebook (Core 2 Due 2.' with 1GB memory) and I would like her pictures be in the same library as my pictures so when I'm looking for specific picture I'll be able to C all the pictures that we both took. (up until we got her the new laptop we used the same computer to import all the photos).

So where will all of the originals be stored LinkTree?

All the photos should be on my main PC (it is always one and shared on the home network)

I regularly backup this volume to an of site location and I want to backup all the changes in one batch

I've found that if you use the export as catalog feature in LR, you'll have whatever edits you did on your other computers. I usually export as catalog and include the digital negatives (original files) and preview files onto an external HD then import them from the external HD to the laptop or other computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back