Windows Update removed LR4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST-EOS

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I have this morning installed about 20 updates from Microsoft, I'm not sure whether it's coincidence but when I went to open LR it was version 4.1 and not 4.2.
Lightroom then advised me that there was an update available (4.2).

The download was to take a number of hours to download, I then looked at my download history on the PC and whilst I could see the 4.1 download and an earlier 3.6. There was no download of 4.2.
I find this strange. Luckily I had 4.2 on my laptop and the download exe file was still on the laptop, so that saved having to download the whole application again from Adobe.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Peter,

No, I haven't seen anything like that. It's a mystery.

Hal

It almost sounds as though the update has somehow done a System Restore, which I've never heard of happening. I know that sometimes if the Windows Update runs into a problem it may automatically back out the changes so that they appear again after the reboot.

Might be worth digging around in the System Restore window to see if you can see anything amiss.

Jim, Hal thanks for your responses, after a little digging around it now seems that the update didn't remove LR4.2 . However for some reason my PC was booting from a different drive !
The PC has the following Drives:-
C: an SSD which until the upgrade this morning was my boot drive. (111GB)
E: System Reserved 99.9MB (I assume this is part of the SSD?)
F: Local Disk 931GB. This drive is where all of my original images (and was the "C" drive when the PC was purchased) are stored
J: Local Disk2 931GB I use this to back up my images and other data but no OS backups

After the upgrade for some unknown reason the PC was booting from the original OS on "F", rather than the more up to date version via the SSD. In my confused state this morning (clocks went back here and we were out until late last night with some alcohol taken :focus:) I didnt notice that the boot drive had changed. So it looks to me like the Windows7 upgrade didnt remove LR 4.2 but for some reason my boot device changed. Sorry for any confusion it was only when I engaged my brain and started to look at the PC drives that I noticed that my then "F" drive was reporting in at 111GB and I couldn't see my data on it.

Should I reformat the fisrt hard drive to remove the initial OS from it and just used it as a backup for data do you think?

All suggestions welcome on how best to prevent this happening again

Again, most odd. I have no explanation for that.

However, it shouldn't be necessary to reformat the original OS drive.....you should be able to disable it as a boot device in the Bios.

However, it shouldn't be necessary to reformat the original OS drive.....you should be able to disable it as a boot device in the Bios.
I agree with Jim, and if you want to make sure your system is not booted from F:, rename the folder "Windows" on it.

Beat

Again, most odd. I have no explanation for that.

Thanks Jim I think I may clone/backup the OS that is on the SSD on to the F drive to overcome the issue where I got the multiple critical Windows updates, when the system booted from that drive. I did use the BIOS to restore the SSD as the boot drive but... I'm still at a loss to understand why the system decided to revert to the original installation of the OS though.

I agree with Jim, and if you want to make sure your system is not booted from F:, rename the folder "Windows" on it.

Beat
Thanks for the response Beat, I hadn't considered renaming the Windows folder on that drive so thanks for that tip. As in my response to Jim above I may combine these two suggestions.

Thanks Jim I think I may clone/backup the OS that is on the SSD on to the F drive to overcome the issue where I got the multiple critical Windows updates, when the system booted from that drive. I did use the BIOS to restore the SSD as the boot drive but... I'm still at a loss to understand why the system decided to revert to the original installation of the OS though.
Just my 2 cents on that:
I would refrain from cloning/backing up one Win Installation to another drive/partition. Smells like trouble (drive letters etc.).

Beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back