Windows Explorer is crashing on DNG (compatible Lightroom 4.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I almost never navigate to my folders with DNG files so i never noticed before but explorer is crashing on folders where DNG's reside which are made with compatibility with Lightroom 4.1 (CR 7.1).

First i tought it had to do with my RAF files, turned into DNG's but i think it has to do with the compatiblitiy.
In Lightroom i tried to make DNG's with al lower 'versions' available (see list below) but only version 1 (CR 2.4) is generated. However, these DNG's are no problem for explorer. Only the most recent version is. Can someone test it on his/her Windows 10 system and let me know?

One of the problem images i shared in my dropbox folder: Dropbox - RM_20160311_161039.dng

With all testing i discovered some strange behaviour i could not find any information about.
I tried to generate a 4.1/7.1 DNG from my Nikon NEF's but that did not work, in all casess the result remained the same: Compability Ligthroom 1.0

I downloaded Adobe's DNG converter for a 'second opinion' but the same results there. So,not a specific Lightroom issue it seems.
The Compatability options for Lightroom are the same in Lightroom and DNG converter:
LR 1.0 = CR 2.4
LR 1.1 = CR 4.1
LR 2.1 = CR 4.6
LR 2.4 =CR 5.4
LR 3.6 = CR 6.6
LR 4.1 = CR 7.1

So 6 output options but only with 2 real output generated...

The first problem (crashing windows explorer on DNG 4.1/7.1 seems to be a local one. Today i tested the posted image on another win 10 computer (after installing the DNG codec) and gues what? No problem...
So i have to find out what can cause this on my (rather new) system.
I tried it in save mode: same problem
I tested system files with sfc / scannow but no results

Any advice on how to investigate this further is welcome!

The second 'problem' (strange behaviour with generating DNG's described above) is less important for me. However, it's interesting to know what is going on here too.

I was able to easily reproduce this on my normal lightroom system with explorer, just view large thumbnails and explorer actually dies and restarts. That's Windows 10 x 64 bit, fully patched.

However, I tried it on a vanilla Windows 10 x 64 system (also fully patched) that has no photo software on it - and the DNG does not try to display at all.

There's SO much software that might install the DNG codecs, from Adobe's CC to possibly other programs that accept it, I even have the DNG converter on the system. No idea which installs the software that causes this to die.

I hate to say it, but to get this fixed you'd likely have to start with a vanilla system that does not die, and start installing software products one by one (I'd start with Photoshop) and see when it starts dying, then complain to that vendor.

However, I tried it on a vanilla Windows 10 x 64 system (also fully patched) that has no photo software on it - and the DNG does not try to display at all.
Yes, i recognize this. I tried it on my son's laptop, no photo software on it. After intalling the Adobe DNG codec the DNG is showed normaly, without crashing explorer.

There's SO much software that might install the DNG codecs, from Adobe's CC to possibly other programs that accept it, I even have the DNG converter on the system. No idea which installs the software that causes this to die.

I hate to say it, but to get this fixed you'd likely have to start with a vanilla system that does not die, and start installing software products one by one (I'd start with Photoshop) and see when it starts dying, then complain to that vendor.
I'm affraid this is the only option.
However, it's a lot of work and i do not have that much time. Also i do not have a spare system i can use for testing.
And because i almost never visit my DNG folders with anything else than Lightroom i think i leave it this way.
Anyhow, thanks for helping me with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back