• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Windows 10 lightroom wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0red

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Windows 10

Lightroom Version: can't check.
When I try to run lightroom cc classic it won't start. No splashscreen or anything. I can see the lightroom.exe in WIndows process explorer, but the program wont run. Photoshop starts with no trouble what so ever.
Things I've tried so far;
  • Un-installed and re-installet it, several times
  • Logged out and in into the CC-app, several times
  • reinstaller or repaired all the Visual C++ files
  • Deleted 2 different caches
  • Deleted the opn.db
And I have the same problem on my laptop and my stationary PC.
Any suggestions would be nice, I've searched the net but it seems like it's a big problem for mamy users.

Maybe it's the catalog.

If you press Control + Alt then click the Lightroom icon (I have mine on the task bar and it worked from there at least), it will prompt for the catalog to open instead of immediately trying to open it.

See if you get that far, so you can specify. Perhaps if you do, create a new one just to see if it then opens normally.

I have not heard of it before (I confess there's so many postings I may have missed it).

Maybe it's the catalog.

If you press Control + Alt then click the Lightroom icon (I have mine on the task bar and it worked from there at least), it will prompt for the catalog to open instead of immediately trying to open it.

See if you get that far, so you can specify. Perhaps if you do, create a new one just to see if it then opens normally.

I have not heard of it before (I confess there's so many postings I may have missed it).
Nope, same thing. Nothing happens. I see LR in taskmanager, but nothing else.

I have no easy suggestions especially if you have tried on two computers.

Any chance it's an anti-virus or other such program?

If you are technical, you could download process monitor or process explorer (I think the former is best) from the Microsoft Sysinternals site, and monitor its startup, see if you can see what has last tried to do or access before hanging. But that's not an easy thing to do, you get buried in info.

I do not know if Adobe support will be any help. Maybe.

Hopefully someone with better ideas than me will come along....

I have no easy suggestions especially if you have tried on two computers.

Any chance it's an anti-virus or other such program?

If you are technical, you could download process monitor or process explorer (I think the former is best) from the Microsoft Sysinternals site, and monitor its startup, see if you can see what has last tried to do or access before hanging. But that's not an easy thing to do, you get buried in info.

I do not know if Adobe support will be any help. Maybe.

Hopefully someone with better ideas than me will come along....
Thanx for trying, Already running procexplorer, but all that happens is that LR just shows up. Gonna try with adobe support and see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck.

Monitor may be better, set it to filter only image name contains Lightroom, and it will give a complete list of everything touched and any failures (lots of failures are common unfortunately as it tries things to see what location files and registries are at).

Not a really good idea generally, but you might try a shift right click to get RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR visible and run it that way, and see if it's a permission issue. Of course, if it works then you will wonder why.

Two other possibilities:

- Disconnect entirely from the network, literally pull the plug or turn off wifi. Might be something it's doing to validate license and is getting hung; if off it might not try.

- I do not know if it will have enough to actually run, but you could book windows in Safe Boot mode so most subsystems are not running, and then try starting lightroom and see if it runs. If it does, you know it's having some conflict with something; if it doesn't you know it is more fundamentally lightroom as almost nothing else is running.

When you run LR, is it underlined in the task bar, but just missing on your screen? I've seen programs that have their screen addresses and sizes set so that they are in some non-existent location. Perhaps you had a second screen previously and ran lightroom on it, but that screen isn't attached anymore. I think LR keeps that information in its preferences file. I suggested in a different thread that you try to reset the preferences. Did you?

Good luck.

Monitor may be better, set it to filter only image name contains Lightroom, and it will give a complete list of everything touched and any failures (lots of failures are common unfortunately as it tries things to see what location files and registries are at).

Not a really good idea generally, but you might try a shift right click to get RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR visible and run it that way, and see if it's a permission issue. Of course, if it works then you will wonder why.

Two other possibilities:

- Disconnect entirely from the network, literally pull the plug or turn off wifi. Might be something it's doing to validate license and is getting hung; if off it might not try.

- I do not know if it will have enough to actually run, but you could book windows in Safe Boot mode so most subsystems are not running, and then try starting lightroom and see if it runs. If it does, you know it's having some conflict with something; if it doesn't you know it is more fundamentally lightroom as almost nothing else is running.

Seems like I've tried everything by this time.
  • Deleted all preferences - no go.
  • Booted in safe mode - no go
Processmonitor only reports that it cant find C:\Users\<myname>\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat-journal and C:\Users\<myname>\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat-wal (NAME NOT FOUND)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back