Will LR6 support raw files from new Panasonic cameras??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralf11

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have LR 6 and since they are not updating it anymore and trying to force us into a perpetual license, I am wondering if I will be able to directly import files from future cameras?

or will I be stuck using DNG Converter?

The last update for LR6 was version 14 in December of 2017. All new cameras released in 2018 and on will not be supported. Only DNG will work.

Maybe I need to rephrase my question...

While all new cameras released in 2018 and on will not be supported, does each new camera have its own raw format?? Or do new cameras (say a panasonic Lumix m43 model) use the same raw format as older ones??

* to be specific, I have a G9, and the RAW files import fine - is it possible for Panasonic to create a new camera using the same RAW format as the G9 uses?

Yes camera manufacturers have their own proprietary RAW format. I don't about Panasonic but each time Canon releases a new camera (even if it is an updated one from the previous model) we have to wait for Adobe to update ACR. My guess is that will be the same for Panasonic. Maybe a web search could verify it unless their is a Panasonic user here.

* to be specific, I have a G9, and the RAW files import fine - is it possible for Panasonic to create a new camera using the same RAW format as the G9 uses?
While it is possible that Panasonic could use the same Raw format, it is not likely due to technology advances. LR determines which RAW converter to use by reading the Model name in the EXIF. Even if the RAW file from a from the new camera is identical, the Model name won't be. Your LR6 will know about a model G9 and know which RAW converter to use. However, if Panosonic debuts a "G10" with the same RAW characteristics, LR6 will not recognize the model name because it is not in its list of cameras. You will need a converter app that has the updated model list That is going to be the latest version of LR or DNG Converter.

Assuming that the internal formats are the same (and it has happened), it would be possible to manually go into the image files and change the model number. Users used to do this while waiting for Adobe to come out with a version of LR that supports their new camera. Personally, I would find the process to be too error prone and too much hassle, especially if my version of Lightroom was never going to be updated to support the new camera. Like Cletus says, newer cameras, especially new generation cameras (as the G10 would likely be), would almost certainly have a different internal format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back