• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Will I lose my files if I unsync Lightroom from Dropbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sista Suga

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Greetings,

I am a new member and want to regain space in my dropbox. My lightroom external hard drive is synced and I'm afraid to make the change, fearing my lightroom files will be misplaced or lost. I am not sure if I have explained myself correctly but hope my inquiry is understood. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

What do you have in DropBox that is associated with Lightroom. DropBox is a file sharing network app that syncs between a local DropBox folder, the DropBox cloud and other computers running DropBox. Any files that you remove from your DropBox folder on your PC will be removed from the DropBox cloud and every other computer or mobile device tied to that DropBox account.

Do you run a system backup to backup all of your critical user data files?

Clee01, Thank you so much for your reply!

I have my Lightroom files on my hard drive that is also linked/synced with dropbox. I'm trying to make sure that if I disassociate my hard drive with dropbox, that nothing will happen to my files when I go to open lightroom to edit files, and lightroom won't have an issue with locating them?

The issue is I have no more space in dropbox because of my lightroom files (49GB) I want to be able to use dropbox to receive other files.

Last edited:
I will repeat what should have been a question: What do you have in your DropBox folder that is associated with Lightroom?

If in doubt, move them to a different folder before unsyncing, and make sure your backups are up to date for peace of mind.

Dropbox syncs a local ‘Dropbox’ folder with its servers. If you do not want to sync something to Dropbox, then you should remove it from (or not place it in) your local Dropbox folder.

I think others have covered this, but I will reiterate. Any Lightroom folders in the DropBox folder should be moved somewhere outside of the DropBox Folder and not deleted. If you move them outside of Lightroom, you may need to relink the path stored in the catalog file to point to the new path for any image files that have been relocated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think others have covered this, but I will reiterate. Any Lightroom folders in the DropBox folder should be moved somewhere outside of the DropBox Folder and not deleted. If you move them outside of Lightroom, you may need to relink the path stored in the catalog file to point to the new path for any image files that have been relocated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Dropbox syncs a local ‘Dropbox’ folder with its servers. If you do not want to sync something to Dropbox, then you should remove it from (or not place it in) your local Dropbox folder.
Thank you.

I have not used dropbox in a long time. I am in the process of receiving new files and there was not enough space to do so, which is why I needed to free up space. Just wanted to know if lightroom would have issues pointing to the files although I have them on an external hard drive that was synced to dropbox. I had communication issues trying to explain what I needed so I decided to just remove the drive/files from dropbox.

I have them on an external hard drive that was synced to dropbox
Really? How would you sync an external drive to Dropbox? Like I said, Dropbox syncs a local folder to its server, and that local folder is located on your internal drive. Dropbox used to follow symbolic links, but it stopped doing that for some time now.

Greetings All,

Just wanted to give you an update. I was able to make the transition and have now freed the space in my dropbox; the lightroom catalog and some other files were taking up all of the space. Here is what helped me Moving A Catalog I also followed Victoria's advice and made a copy of my catalog before making the move.

All is well and I am happy. Thank you to all who responded to my inquiry with advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back