gYab61zH

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Classic 7.5
Operating System
macOS 10.11 El Capitan
Before I take the plunge and update one of my Macs to Mojave and LR 8 I would like to know whether LR 7.5 and 8 work well together (read each other's catalogues and such)? I am asking because one of my Macs can be updated to Mojave (a prerequisite for 8 if I understand it correctly) but the other one cannot.

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Although Adobe have called the new update "LR8", it really isn't a major upgrade as in previous years. For one thing there is no catalog version upgrade, so a catalog used in 7.5 can be opened in 8.0 and vice versa. The only thing you have to be wary of is how the new features in LR8 might translate back into 7.5, such as the PV changes to improve the way negative dehaze looks, and of course you wouldn't have the new camera support in 7.5 that was enabled in 8.0.

PhilBurton

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Before I take the plunge and update one of my Macs to Mojave and LR 8 I would like to know whether LR 7.5 and 8 work well together (read each other's catalogues and such)? I am asking because one of my Macs can be updated to Mojave (a prerequisite for 8 if I understand it correctly) but the other one cannot.
Did you at least try to update the (older?) Mac to LR 8?

Phil Burton

gYab61zH

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Although Adobe have called the new update "LR8", it really isn't a major upgrade as in previous years. For one thing there is no catalog version upgrade, so a catalog used in 7.5 can be opened in 8.0 and vice versa. The only thing you have to be wary of is how the new features in LR8 might translate back into 7.5, such as the PV changes to improve the way negative dehaze looks, and of course you wouldn't have the new camera support in 7.5 that was enabled in 8.0.
Thanks Jim, that is good news. I basically need both systems to be able to read the catalogues, and only for import/export purposes (taking laptop with me on trips).