• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Why Time Machine on a Mac is a GOOD THING and a suggested option for Windows people (like me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I use Retrospect Professional Retrospect: Backup Software for Small Businesses, $119 for Desktop. There is also a $40 Personal version. I just discovered how valuable is Retrospect's ability to back up multiple versions of a file, in this case all my various .lrcat files. When I first got Lightroom, I didn't know very much about it, so I created a separate catalog for each event or subject, probably 20+ in all. Knowing what I do now, I should have been using collections. The issue is that most of these one-off catalogs have been deleted. Ooops! Years of work gone??? Almost.

Using Retrospect, I was able to locate all the backed up versions of all these catalogs. I do my backups by year, so I had to search various datasets by year, and found these one-off catalogs going back to 2014, when I first started using Lightroom 4. Using a simple "mirror image" backup tool like Macrium Reflect, Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free, all these catalogs would have disappeared from the backup drive. Now I can simply restore all these old catalog files, import them, and create collections as needed.

For Mac users, life is good, very good, as long as you are diligent about using Time Machine and have enough space for backups. Time Machine automatically keeps old versions of files and files you have deleted from your system. (I never thought I would have MacOS X envy. :eek:)

For Windows users, Retrospect Personal or Desktop may be a great investment that can save you a lot of time when you need to recover old files or old versions of a file. Among other features Retrospect allow backups to multiple "data sets" and backups can be scripted and scheduled, so you can get most of the benefits that Time Machine gives Mac users.

Just saying ...

Phil Burton

I have a 2TB EHD dedicated to Time Machine. Saved me a few times.

Thanks for this Phil. I moved from Mac to Windows 10 earlier this year and Time Machine is the only thing I really miss. TM did save me on at least two occasions and I will certainly check Retrospect out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back