Why on earth every time i start Lr my pc shuts down?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlala

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
it's been happening for a while, it was not like that before i formatted my computer.... but since i did it is happening!
i've already downloaded the last version, i uninstalled it and installed again... i just dont know why each time i'll try to use it my pc dies...

Hi, welcome to the forum.

What exactly happens? Does the PC simply power off, or do you get any form of error messages or 'blue screen'?

If it's just powering off, it's likely that you have a fairly serious hardware problem and your mother-board shuts down the system to protect it from further damage. Prime suspect would be overheating, but it could also be other components as well.

carlala,

Welcome!

As Jim says, it sounds a lot like hardware. What was happening that caused you to "format your computer"? And what did that entail?

Hal

it was not like that before i formatted my computer
Can you explain what you mean by this? Did you reformat your HD and reinstall Win7-64? Or did you recently convert to Win7-64 from XP?
Most likely the problem is a result of your "formatted my computer" action which might not have installed the proper and current Hardware drivers. FWIW, once you install Win7-64, you should never need to reformat the HD and start fresh. This is a drastic step that was required for XP for computer repair techs that were looking for a quick fix instead of a solution. (sort of like getting a heart transplant when all you need is a low fat low cholesterol diet).

LR will make use of all of your memory and take advantage of all of your video capability. If there are incorrect video drivers or bad graphics cards or graphincs memory or bad RAM, LR will let you know in the only way that it can.

I guess I can answer this one - My laptop used to die too when using lightroom because LR is more heavy on the cpu than any other app I know, including games. I was somewhat scared the first time it happened, and I had to let the laptop cool down or it would refuse to start again. The solution for me was to get a vacuum cleaner, hold it in front of the air vents and suck the dust out - that prevented overheating. Get a tool to monitor cpu and system temperature and see for yourself.

If that doesn't work for you, you could find another way to limit LR's drain like sticking it to one cpu core (I vageuely remember some tools floating around to limit the max. cpu usage, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back