• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Why Lens Profile Availability Varies for RAW vs JPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 9.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a JPG image from a 3rd party. It was shot with a Canon camera but the only metadata lens details are that the it was a 10-17mm. I'm guessing that this is a Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX Fish-Eye 10-17mm since this is a popular lens for underwater photography which makes sense since we were on a diving trip.

The Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX Fish-Eye 10-17mm is listed as a supported lens so I was surprised when I couldn't find it in Lens Corrections of Develop.

Googling this it seems there are cases were lens correction can be applied to a JPG and not others. What I couldn't understand is what determines when a correction can be used on a JPG. This is more for curiosity since I shoot in RAW. How does LR determine when to show a lens profile being available?

Thanks

Solution
Most lens profiles are for raw only, while some support both raw and non-raw, since according to Adobe engineer Chris Castleberry, "JPEGs may already have lens corrections applied. ". LR also doesn't know authoritatively whether and how a non-raw has been cropped.

But it's easy to change a raw-only lens profile to support JPEGs as well, if you want to try it with JPEGs:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...1a3d420ef916&replyId=5f5f4ac74b561a3d42c2679c

The table of supported lenses purportedly indicates which have JPEG profiles, but recent versions of that table are no longer accurate...
Most lens profiles are for raw only, while some support both raw and non-raw, since according to Adobe engineer Chris Castleberry, "JPEGs may already have lens corrections applied. ". LR also doesn't know authoritatively whether and how a non-raw has been cropped.

But it's easy to change a raw-only lens profile to support JPEGs as well, if you want to try it with JPEGs:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...1a3d420ef916&replyId=5f5f4ac74b561a3d42c2679c

The table of supported lenses purportedly indicates which have JPEG profiles, but recent versions of that table are no longer accurate. (For example, there are 14 Canon profiles that appear in my LR 10.1.1 for JPEGs, but none of those are marked in the table.)

Solution
Thanks Johnrellis. I'd seen some posting's from Chris but missed the one your summarized "Normally profiles for JPEG are not supplied unless the camera does not apply a correction (e.g. iPhone, GoPro)" I also had not noticed the designation of both RAW and JPG in some of the profiles listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back