• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Why is my .lrcat file in OneDrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singingstone48

Singingstone48
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a new PC running WIN10 and a Creative Cloud subscription for Photoshop and Lightroom. When I open Lightroom it creates the .lrcat file in C:\Users\Steve\OneDrive\Pictures\Lightroom. Everything I have ever read about Lightroom Classic says the .lrcat file should be in C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\Lightroom.

How can I get this changed? OneDrive has only 5 Gb of space and then wants to charge me for more backup space! Microsoft is doing this and I don't know how to get it to STOP.

Lightroom only creates a new catalog once. If it created the catalog in C:\Users\Steve\OneDrive\Pictures\Lightroom, then simply move it to C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\Lightroom. Launch Lightroom once by double clicking on the catalog file in the new location. From now on Lightroom should know that this is the catalog to use and not create anything in OneDrive anymore. You can check the catalog it uses in the preferences.

I think several versions back Microsoft introduced OneDrive as the default location for all critical files. OneDrive stores one copy locally (C:\Users\Steve\OneDrive\...) and another copy is stored in the Microsoft cloud. While in may have been an effort to prevent users from losing critical data, it could also have been a ploy to sell more cloud storage.

While in may have been an effort to prevent users from losing critical data, it could also have been a ploy to sell more cloud storage.
A bit of both, I suspect. By putting the users Documents and Pictures folders inside OneDrive, so that all docs and images stored inside those default libraries are automatically synced to the MS Cloud, it in theory provides a useful level of protection against ransomware (assuming the user doesn't create offline/offsite backups). I think that was the official reason, but of course the more data that the user stores in their default user libraries, the more cloud space they'll use.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back