• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Export Why Is Export Now So Slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky3540

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.3 [ 202005281810-476e492c ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Since the latest upgrade, exporting even a single file is super slow compared to how fast it was before upgrading to 9.3. It now takes 35–40 seconds (I timed it) for the operation to complete. I have a new, fast Mac, so it's not a hardware issue.

The strange thing is, the "Export n files" progress bar doesn't advance (or advances partway, then stops), and you see the spinning beach ball in Lr (so you can't do anything else), but if you click on the thumbnail that appears on the desktop (if that's your export location) the file is there almost right away.

Exporting multiple files (like two to five) doesn't take a longer or shorter time—it still takes 35–40 seconds.

Neither the export file format (DNG, JPEG, PSD, etc.) nor the size of the exported file (I tried with 600px on the long side all the way up to 24MP, which was the original file size) makes any difference in the time it takes.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on fixes?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 4.29.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 4.29.18 PM.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 309
I’ll venture a guess. Lightroom Classic exports uses several threads to export multiple file at once. It also makes use of working storage to create staging temporary file. Working storage utilizes the free space on your primary disk drive. If your primary disk drive is full of nearly so, LrC has to slow down to wait on free space to become available. As a rule of thumb I recommend keeping 100GB or 10-15% of your primary disk drive free for working storage. How much do you have free?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Cletus. See attached screenshot. I have plenty of room on my primary drive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 5.10.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 5.10.05 PM.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 426
Hey, guesses are welcome. I appreciate your responding. I'm eager to hear if others are finding their Export function is slow, and if anyone has a fix.

Hey, guesses are welcome. I appreciate your responding. I'm eager to hear if others are finding their Export function is slow, and if anyone has a fix.
My export process is as speedy as ever.
Lightroom Classic version: 9.3 [ 202005281810-476e492c ]
MacOS 10.15.5. 1TB SSD with 272 GB Free.
48mp 18MB Jpeg took 8 Seconds

Has it always been like this on the new Mac, or has it been faster on this machine?

Thanks for replying, Victoria. It used to be faster on the new machine.

The good news is that the problem is solved. I talked at length with Apple support, thinking it was a Mac problem and not a Lightroom problem, and they had me log out of my Apple account, then uninstall and reinstall the Apple OS. Took about 45 minutes. When I rebooted my Mac and exported images from Lightroom, it was as speedy as before.

I don't know what the conflict was, and it may not be possible to know, but the interaction between Lr and the Mac OS was not functioning properly in some way, and reinstalling the OS fixed it.

Weird! Glad you got it sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back