• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

why do previews still take time to load? (smart & 1:1 built) - slow culling

Status
Not open for further replies.

weddepohl

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi,

Culling is very slow!!
When culling in library mode, previews still take time to load. It goes well for a few images, but then I see the unedited image with the loading text.. after a few seconds the preview is loaded. Why does it show the unedited version first when I have smart & 1:1 previews built??

I've tried with both graphics processor en/disabled.
I'm using smart previews instead of originals
I'm working in library mode

this is my setup:

ligtroom 2015.8
macOS Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32)
iMac: Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7
memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Firstly, take smart previews out of your thinking, they are only used in the Develop module, the Library module uses the previews stored in the separate previews cache.
Secondly, understand that any existing 1:1 preview is automatically discarded when you edit an image (because the preview is outdated as soon as you edit the original). This also applies to the standard preview, but this is supposed to be rebuilt in the background when an edited image appears in either the grid or the filmstrip in the Library module window. So if you are viewing an edited image in the Library module at 1:1 zoom level (and you haven't manually forced a rebuild of the 1:1 preview), there will be a loading delay while that preview is rebuilt. If however, you are viewing in Fit mode and are still experiencing a loading delay on recently edited images, you might need to examine your preview size settings to make sure that your Standard Preview size is big enough to cope with your 5k monitor (ideally it should be set to Auto).

Does that explanation help?

My 5K iMac is spec'd similarly to yours. My camera spits out 36mp NEFs and I don't experience anything resembling slowness when I Import from the camera card. I begin culling as soon as the first image appears on my dual screens well before the import has finished. I never have to wait on an image there that the brief second or two when it gets rendered on the screen for the first time.
Are you running a virus scanner that is sitting between LR and the preview files? Preview files need to be excluded from malware apps. The malware protection built into MacOS is sufficient that you don't need third party Malware apps.

Hi Jim,

Glad to be here, and thank you for the quick help.

Good to know these things about the previews! Thank you.
I switched to my 15" MacBook Pro retina to see If the preview size & screen are the culprit. I set the preview size setting to auto and this indeed does the trick for viewing in 'fit mode'! Thank you. I have one more questions though:

- When I cull on my iMac 5K I prefer to cull at 1/2 zoom level. Before last update this would work, but after the last upgrade the image will zoom to 1:1 first and than zoom down to 1/2 size. This takes up to 5 seconds per image. Whats going on there?

@clee: On import I already add a preset to my images, so they are not unedited images.

Thanks again,
Joost

@clee: On import I already add a preset to my images, so they are not unedited images.
That did not answer my question about whether you use an anti virus app.
It should not matter whether the images have a develop preset applied at import. All RAW images have some development applied even if the develop preset field is set to none

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back