Why are lightroom settings lost once sent to email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I am currently using lightroom 2015 6.1 and while i am able to export my pictures, once i send shots to my email before uploading to instagram all the editing has been undone. I would love any advice on those who have this process down with everything in tact through the stages?

I have attached a screenshot of my settings though don't think this would have much to do with it.

Thankyou

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 3.10.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 3.10.35 pm.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 648
Are you, by any chance, emailing the original file, rather than the file which has been exported.

Lr does not apply any changes to an original file, merely stores the instructions of the changes in the Catalog file. The instructions are applied when creating a new exported file.

The file settings clearly show that a jpeg derivative is created, not the original file. However, I would like to know what makes the OP conclude that the edits are not applied. How do you view the jpeg file and what do you (not) see? Also, as always, first update to the latest version. Lightroom 6.1 is an older and more buggy version, so update to 6.6.1 first.

Are you, by any chance, emailing the original file, rather than the file which has been exported.

Lr does not apply any changes to an original file, merely stores the instructions of the changes in the Catalog file. The instructions are applied when creating a new exported file.

I am uploading the file which i have been doing the edits on

The file settings clearly show that a jpeg derivative is created, not the original file. However, I would like to know what makes the OP conclude that the edits are not applied. How do you view the jpeg file and what do you (not) see? Also, as always, first update to the latest version. Lightroom 6.1 is an older and more buggy version, so update to 6.6.1 first.

I view the jpeg file on email once i have uploaded it after saving from export. Yes someone else mentioned that to, would that have an effect on the changes at all?

It depends on what adjustments you think are lost. Your email program may not be color-managed, so you could see color differences that aren't really there. However, if you for example removed a person from the photo in Lightroom, and that person suddenly reappears in your emailed jpeg, then you do have a problem...

That is the problem. Lr does not apply edits to an image. In your export settings put the exported file in a sub folder. Check after export if the sub folder contains a jpg with your edits. Your original image ( jpg I assume) will have no edits applied.

You need to be uploading the file that was exported. LR does not make edit adjustments to the original. It only records those as instructions to be applied to the original and from this a derivative file is made.

Unlike most apps, such as Word, Photoshop, AutoCad, etc...there is no command in Lr called Save or Save As. The Import routine tells Lr where to find the file. The Export routine applies edits or instructions to the source original file in Lr memory and then creates an exported new version of the file, leaving the original file untouched. This is a key concept in terms of how Lr works.

That is the problem. Lr does not apply edits to an image. In your export settings put the exported file in a sub folder. Check after export if the sub folder contains a jpg with your edits. Your original image ( jpg I assume) will have no edits applied.

Oh i have never heard of that before. So your saying that in the export location section create a sub folder and place them there versus just saving the file in my normal files, to see the saved edits?

You need to be uploading the file that was exported. LR does not make edit adjustments to the original. It only records those as instructions to be applied to the original and from this a derivative file is made.

I am uploading the exported file with the changes, maybe i'm not understanding you cleo1l

That's what I thought. I would be very illogical to export an image, and then ignore the exported image and send the original by email instead. So I ask again: what is it that you (don't) see? Some color changes? Or some very clear edits like removing a spot? If it's just a rather subtle color adjustment, you could be deceived if the email software isn't color managed. In that case try this: make a very clear edit like a -2 stops exposure correction, then check if that disappears on export as well.

Oh i have never heard of that before. So your saying that in the export location section create a sub folder and place them there versus just saving the file in my normal files, to see the saved edits?

You do not need to use a sub folder, but in this case I am suggesting you put the exported image in a sub folder, so it will be easier for you to view the original and the exported image.

BTW, what email program are you using? A separate email app like Apple Mail, or Lightroom's built-in email option? I never use the built-in email option, but it looks like that may be the one you are using. I'm missing a few options in the export dialog screenshot, like the destination on your hard disk. That makes me think this is probably the dialog of the built-in email client.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back