• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Why am I seeing this twice - From metadata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumped

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Im not even sure why I would see it once? What does this mean? Why twice? Tks

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.36.19 PM.png

Those History steps result from doing the menu command Metadata > Read Metadata From File, which causes LR to set all the develop settings of the photo from the metadata saved in the file or its .xmp sidecar. Did you give that command, perhaps accidentally?

Humm, not that I can remember. Here's my menu and there is no shortcut for Read Metadata that I might have hit mistakingly. I know I would not have selected each or all the photos in question, maybe 30 or so, and done the Menu Action.... Oh well, no harm done I guess??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.38.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.38.16 AM.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 75
no harm done I guess??
Not unless you have previous develop settings on those photos, in which case Read Metadata From File would overwrite them. The first History step is Import/Lens, which indicates you've got a lens profile being applied on import -- check those photos to make sure they still have the desired lens profile/settings.

So now im really stumped. Ive gone and looked at other folders and here are a few more History shots.... In each of these examples, the From Metadata has overwritten the previous settings? I dont know why I would have all these From Metadata commands in history. I guess I have to figure out in all these pictures if the settings have been overwritten?
Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.50.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.52.29 AM.png

Perchance are these photos synchronized with the Adobe Cloud? If so, metadfta changes on a cloud based app may show yup this way (just a thought, haven't verified)

I think the first step is to understand where the history step "Import/Lens" comes from. I had thought it would come from setting a lens default or applying raw default on import, but I can't make it happen.

Do all of your photos have "Import/Lens" as their first history step?

Can anyone else gives a recipe for getting "Import/Lens"?

If I apply a preset during import, the first History step is "Import/Preset Name (dd/mm/yyyy hh.mm.ss)". It maybe that the OP is applying a preset called "Lens" during import?

If I apply a preset during import, the first History step is "Import/Preset Name (dd/mm/yyyy hh.mm.ss)". It maybe that the OP is applying a preset called "Lens" during import?
That's what I tried. I'll try it again...

Ah, I was setting a raw default, not an Import preset. I now see "Import/Lens" when I use an Import preset named "Lens". But I guess that still doesn't help me understand the original issue.

I think the first step is to understand where the history step "Import/Lens" comes from. I had thought it would come from setting a lens default or applying raw default on import, but I can't make it happen.

Do all of your photos have "Import/Lens" as their first history step?

I made a lens preset a long time ago. Now I cant remember where/how or where to look for it. I do use it when I import my files into LR. If I remember correctly, for Lens correction

Yes, I remember naming it Lens. But im still trying to figure out where the From Metadata's are coming form.

Not unless you have previous develop settings on those photos, in which case Read Metadata From File would overwrite them. The first History step is Import/Lens, which indicates you've got a lens profile being applied on import -- check those photos to make sure they still have the desired lens profile/settings.
So they do have the desired lens profile. As mentioned, I do not know how these From Metadata steps got there. My typical workflow is to import pictures into LR catalog, converting from .cr2 to .dng while applying lens preset. I then edit in LR and export as .jpg to hard drive.

When I click on any of the From Metadata tabs, I can see no noticeable change in any of the pictures. Guessing I should ??

Is there another way to to tell if that(those) step(s) are doing (have done) anything ? If not , safe to leave alone OR delete them??

"My typical workflow is to import pictures into LR catalog, converting from .cr2 to .dng while applying lens preset. I then edit in LR and export as .jpg to hard drive."

I did a test import of a .cr2 with the options Copy As DNG, first with no Import Develop preset, then with a Develop preset, and I observe one From Metadata in History:
1662175465627.png

1662175318914.png

My guess is that this is an artifact of how Copy As DNG is implemented -- first it converts the raw file to a DNG file and imports it, then it calls Metadata > Read Metadata From File internally to read any develop settings or other metadata that might have been stored in an accompanying .xmp sidecar (if there is one).

Even though you're seeing two From Metadata steps, I think we're pretty safe in concluding that this is a normal side effect of how you're doing the import and you can ignore it.

I did a test import of a .cr2 with the options Copy As DNG, first with no Import Develop preset, then with a Develop preset, and I observe one From Metadata in History:
1662175465627.png

1662175318914.png

My guess is that this is an artifact of how Copy As DNG is implemented -- first it converts the raw file to a DNG file and imports it, then it calls Metadata > Read Metadata From File internally to read any develop settings or other metadata that might have been stored in an accompanying .xmp sidecar (if there is one).

Even though you're seeing two From Metadata steps, I think we're pretty safe in concluding that this is a normal side effect of how you're doing the import and you can ignore it.

So there are a lot of variables here: Mostly the ones that I create - haha.. So I use to shoot .cr2 and convert to .dng on import. I think these with the 2 From Import were actually shot in .dng as I have looked at the originals and they are .dng. I do not have a lot of picture folders in LR and I have randomly gone back and looked as far as 2018 in some folders. I looked at maybe 100 pics in different folders and only saw From Metadata 2 or 3 times in a few pictures. And then, only once. Never twice.

It is only with this last folder where I see it twice in the pictures and a few times twice in the folder before.

So at this point maybe ill assume user error unless I see it popping up again in the future.

Last question: What is the best way to see if the setting has effected the picure(s) ?

The final thing I notice is that the From Metadata are always the 2nd and 3rd step in History, Import/Lens being the 1st....

Hi
Easy way to check what difference (if any) has been made is to just click the History step prior to the 'From Metadata'. The interesting one will be the example above where you corrected Red Eye. The example where it was immediately after Import, it will have made no difference.

Hi
Easy way to check what difference (if any) has been made is to just click the History step prior to the 'From Metadata'. The interesting one will be the example above where you corrected Red Eye. The example where it was immediately after Import, it will have made no difference.
So im attaching what happens with ones of the pics. The top 2 From Metadata nothing I see changes. Then in the 3rd from top step, the down arrow for metadata update in the filmstrip appears. The red eye work is on the little girl on the r side of the shot. As you said, I see no difference in the From Metadata step right after import.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/csqUM4JjepmEcBMN8

Last edited:
Screenshots are preferred please.

In Catalog Settings > Metadata, do you have 'Automatically write changes into XMP' checked by any chance?

ok. So there are no changes in the filmstrip until no. 3 screenshot. The red eye work is on the little girl. Sorry, had to resize and convert them1 Large.jpeg2 Large.jpeg3 Large.jpeg4 Large.jpeg5 Large.jpeg6 Large.jpeg7 Large.jpeg

That's actually good, shows no affect from the Metadata read.

XMP question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back