• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Who can explain "Export Containing Keywords" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swteven

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
"Export Containing Keywords" is an option found in the "Edit Keyword Tag" dialog. I am trying to clearly understand what function is performed when this option is checked. :hm:

Adobe documentation offers a very brief description:
"Export Containing Keywords" Includes higher-level keywords that contain the keyword when exporting photos.

Regarding this description, I have to assume that "higher-level keywords" means a parent keyword in a keyword hierarchy?

I think your assumption is correct, but I'm not sure either! If a child keyword has "Export Containing Keywords" checked, but the parent keyword has "Include on Export" unchecked, who wins? As far as I can see, the "Include on Export" being unchecked would win, i.e. the parent keyword is not exported, which then begs your question: what's the point of the "Export Containing Keywords" option?

Hopefully one of our keywording experts will drop by with the answer!

"Include on Export" wins. I have a hierarchy of Internal use only Keywords. The top level is a keyword "**Internal" It is the only keyword in the hierarchy with "Include on Export" unchecked. "Export Containing Keywords" is checked. Child keywords that have "Include on Export" checked and "Export Containing Keywords" unchecked are exported but none of the parent keywords. Child keywords that have "Include on Export" and "Export Containing Keywords checked will bring with them only those parent keywords that have "Include on Export" checked

Child keywords that have "Include on Export" checked and "Export Containing Keywords" unchecked are exported but none of the parent keywords.

Thanks for that, though for some reason I'm probably a little surprised that "Include on Export" on the parent is then ignored....but that's probably just my lack of understanding.

The interesting thing then is what happens when you export a picture which has two child keywords (of the same parent), each with a different selection of the "Export Containing Keywords" option. A quick test indicates that the parent keyword IS exported in that situation.

Thanks for that, though for some reason I'm probably a little surprised that "Include on Export" on the parent is then ignored....but that's probably just my lack of understanding.

The interesting thing then is what happens when you export a picture which has two child keywords (of the same parent), each with a different selection of the "Export Containing Keywords" option. A quick test indicates that the parent keyword IS exported in that situation.
I think the key is whether the parent keyword is included by child reference or whether it is expressly selected for the image. Expressly selected keywords are included ONLY if "Include on Export" is checked Parent Keywords are included only if they have "Include on Export" checked and the child keywords has "Export Containing Keywords" checked.

Cletus - Thanks for clarification! I need to experiment with this so my brain gets it.

This brings up another topic which I will start as a new post. That is… having one group of keywords for Internal use within LR and another for External use on images that are exported. The Internal group helps a LR user to manage their collection and the External group are keywords for SEO and/or search within a web publishing application. The way you do it may be ideal but there are probably other approaches.

I am confused about the word "Containing". Would "Export Containing Keywords" mean the same thing as "Export Child Keywords" or "Export Lower-Level Keywords" ?

Regarding this topic I have discovered a Keyword Tags drop-down menu located in the Keywording dialog.

The default is "Enter Keywords" which shows all tagged keywords for a selected image.
The second option is "Keywords & Containing Keywords".
The third option is "Will Export".

I am trying different configurations but I am still
not sure what the word "Containing" actually means.

Regarding this topic I have discovered a Keyword Tags drop-down menu located in the Keywording dialog.

The default is "Enter Keywords" which shows all tagged keywords for a selected image.
The second option is "Keywords & Containing Keywords".
The third option is "Will Export".

I am trying different configurations but I am still
not sure what the word "Containing" actually means.
"Keywords & Containing Keywords" = "Keywords & Parent Keywords" IOW Keywords that contain other relevant keywords.

If your Keyword hierarchy is:
Texas
––––Houston
––––––––Texas Medical Center
––––––––––––St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital

If you assign the Keyword Phrase St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital, All of the other words that contain St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital would be assigned too and would show up on the Keywording panel when "Keywords & Containing Keywords" is the chosen option.

Got it! Thanks for the relevant example!

A Parent keyword is a "Container" of other (lower level) keywords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back