• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Which to edit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkiemom

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR version 7.5
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a Canon 7D and a Canon Rebel T7i...when I imported my photos from vacation overseas I got 2 photos inported...a jpeg and a CR2

Also I get a little Exclamation Point...says that metadata has been changed by LR and another app...and to either import from disk or overwrite. Since I've never gotten this before I have no clue which I should be doing. Is it something I set up in preferences and don't know about?

Hi Norma,

Sounds as though you had one or both cameras set to save JPG and raw for each photo. The JPG will be the rendition of by the camera software using the current active style selected in the camera. The raw is the unmodified capture data with the EXIF settings and some advisory information like the color temp the camera selected at the time of capture. This is the same color temp that the camera used to generate the JPG.

You can edit either one or both but with the JPG version you are quite limited in what you can accomplish as the camera software has already made all the big decisions for you. On the other hand editing the raw gives you the full flexibility of the Adobe Camera Raw processing engine.

In the Lightroom Preferences, General tab, there is an option "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos". If not checked already you probably want to check this so that you see both individually.

Regarding the metadata changed status. I simply ignore this most of the time unless I know for certain that I have modified the metadata with another application. This rarely occurs as I consider Lightroom the master for all my metadata. I know that anytime I export or publish Lightroom will always use the current metadata in the catalog.

-louie

Is there a particular reason you use both RAW and Jpeg?

I always use only RAW. My settings in this particular camera says just RAW...that's why I can't figure out why I'm seeing both a jpeg and a CR2 file. Will check more into it though.

I always use only RAW. My settings in this particular camera says just RAW...that's why I can't figure out why I'm seeing both a jpeg and a CR2 file. Will check more into it though.

Well, every raw has a jpg embedded for preview. That's what you see on the back of your camera after taking a shot. That said, those two photos shouldn't appear separately in LR Classic as the jpg is embedded and LR is smart enough to recognize this.

I would guess that your problem might have something to do with the interaction between LR Classic and the LR CC ecosystem. On which device and into which program did you initially import your pictures?

Are the files still on the card that was in the camera? If so, are their both raw and jpeg copies of each image? If so, then the setting on the camera may have been changed. If there are only raw images on the card, then that would not be the case. Did you copy the images to a drive before importing? Are there both a raw and a jpeg files for each image there? Or did you import the images from the card directly in LR's import dialog window?

--Ken

Sorry for the delay but my computer crashed and it was at Dell for a while... Imported into Classic. Only one photo of each in camera. From the card directly into Classic.

That's almost impossible. If you really shot RAW only and if you're importing directly from the SD card into Lightroom Classic, then I don't see any reason why you'd end up with a RAW file (CR2) AND a JPEG. The only other thing I can think of is that a version of these photos was already present in your catalog before you imported them from the SD card.

It's a long shot, but did you maybe import your photos to your phone or tablet while you were traveling and did you use LR mobile on that device? If so, maybe whichever app you used to import the photos to your phone/tablet added them as JPEG and then LR mobile automatically synced those photos to your LR Classic catalog. That would explain why you end up with two files after you import the RAW files directly from your SD card. It would also explain why you get that metadata warning you mentioned. I don't know... but it might have something to do with something like this.

If not, your case would be quite a mystery...

Hmmm maybe. I'm going to have to keep track to see if it happens again. I didn't use LR mobile on my trip but I do have Canon Connect on my phone for my camera and did transfer to my phone. Maybe that's where the problem could have been.

Do you run Lightroom mobile on your phone? If so, chances are high that it automatically imported the photos from your camera roll in the background. Chances are also high that Canon Connect put the photos you transferred into the phone's camera roll... in a JPEG format. And there's your problem... and solution. You could just tell Lightroom mobile to NOT auto import the photos from the camera roll (preferences > import > uncheck auto add options).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back