• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Which LR should I be using? Why can't I rename my photos even tho they are in LR catalog? Need to update Catalog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmargolis

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic v 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I admit that I haven't been working with Lightroom for a few months and have lost track of which version matches what I had been using. Formerly I used Lightroom in CC (for which I pay a monthly fee) , the older more traditional version, not the online version. I use it only from my computer and don't use it in a mobile device. Now I'm using LR Classic v. 9.0. Is that correct?

I just imported some photos in that version 9.0 from a disk. My photos are on a separate drive. So my import seemed to go well and are in LR. They are also in the Finder listed under the separate drive. So it all seemed fine. However when I tried to rename them, I got a message "Some photos will not be renamed because they are missing or unwritable." I reimported them with a slightly different number sequence. I still have the above error message.

All the folders of photos are on the separate drive where I expect them to be. The Catalog5.4.11 is on the Mac HD. The date it is modified is today, a few minutes ago. I just attached a file with what is on my Mac HD. Seems like some could be deleted but don't know which ones to delete.

Should I have updated my Catalog? How can I tell if that has to be done. I don't think I have done it and I assume it isn't done automatically.

Is this too much to ask on the Forum?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-01 14.09.09.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-01 14.09.09.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 248
OK, Let's try to take this in Small pieces.
  1. Lightroom Classic is the traditional version not (necessarily) tied to the Adobe cloud. It is version 9.
    1. Your old master catalog from any older version needs to be read and converted to the latest database structure. You will see this any time you try to open a catalog file from an earlier version​
    2. the common description for this app is Lightroom Classic from Version 8.x forward to version 9.0​
  2. The version of Lightroom that interacts with the Adobe cloud. is simply called "Lightroom" The "CC" terminology has been dropped by Adobe. Around here for clarification we call it "Lightroom (cloudy)" to differentiate it from Lightroom Classic.
  3. Apple Catalina has issues and Adobe Lightroom Classic v9 has some incompatibilities that need to be resolved by either Apple or Adobe or Both.
    1. One of those issues revolves around changes that Apple made to file/folder security.​
    2. I think this is what you are seeing when you get the "Unwritable" message.​
    3. Some others that have upgraded from Mojave to Catalina can probably point you to the change you may need to make in Apple Security to get write access to your files by the Lightroom Classic app.​
  4. The file "Catalog5.4.11-2-2-2-2.lrcat". Looks like your Master catalog. If it has all of your data then you can exit Lightroom Classic and open Finder.
    1. In Finder, navigate to the folder named "Catalog5.4.11" and any file or folder not named "Catalog5.4.11-2-2-2-2.something " can be moved to a temporary folder until you are certain that files are not needed to contain vital data.​
    2. Folders named Backups and Archive can stay where they are for the moment​
    3. Files that start with "Temporary..." can be deleted.​
I think this is a good start if you get stuck working through this, come back and we can sort it out.

Thank you for responding to my long post.

Since I don't plan to use Lightroom Classic v.9, I don't think I have to work on the incompatibilities with Catalina. I just checked this computer and I am running Mojave. 10.14.5. It is on my other office computer that has Catalina on it. Sorry for the misinformation. So I assume I'm fine with this issue.

When I opened LR Classic v.9.0 it appeared that my photos were there in the Library. I didn't check closely. However I closed that and opened Lightroom which is what I think I was using. Judging by the number of photos, ,maybe half we're there. Also when I opened Lightroom, I got a message that I needed to upgrade my storage, which I started. but stopped to write this post. I do remember when I did upgrade it to more storage several months ago. As I recall I need to use Adobe storage because I shoot LR dng on my phone and storage is set up to transfer the phone photos to Lightroom on my computer. I upgraded then because I was out of storage on Adobe. However when I read the reasons to use Adobe storage, I don't know if I need the Adobe storage. Currently I have 1 T of storage in Adobe Cloud. It wants to sync and I don't know why it isn't currently synced. And why does it say I have to UPGRADE? I attached a file.
Should I continue to sync? Since I had a problem with Apple iCloud when I understood that I can't have my documents both on my computer HD and in the Apple cloud. It'll take my a long time to move the documents back to my HD. I don't want the same problem with Adobe cloud.

I just noticed that in my Catalog5.4.11 folder, there is a Backup folder. The most recent backup is 2019-06-17 2006. I don't know what the 2006 means. 2019-06-17 is how I label the folder for a particular date. I think I have done more recent backups when I closed LR so why is there no more recent backup? Screenshot 2019-12-01 18.31.18.pngScreenshot 2019-12-01 18.55.20.png?

I'll move ahead when I understand more about three areas:
the Adobe cloud storage issue. Should I continue to sync?
Why aren't all my photos in the Library in Lightroom?
Why don't I have a recent backup on my HD?

Thanks again.

Roberta

Screenshot 2019-12-01 18.31.18.png

I just listened to a video on Lynda.com that outlined the difference between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic. So I learned that I am accustomed to Lightroom Classic with all my files on my computer. Also I'm familiar with the layout. What I didn't find out is can I interface LR on my iPhone and transfer my dng photos automatically to Lightroom Classic on my computer? I can do that now to Lightroom. I know that on my phone Phone X, I can transfer the photos to Photos in Apple system. From there on my computer I can import them into Lightroom Classic. More cumbersome but possible. Does that sound like the solution to use if I want to use Lightroom Classic?

It also solves my question about the photos in the Library in Lightroom Classic which all seem to be there. Not so with Lightroom.

Thanks, Roberta

Good that your research on Lynda.com has shown you the difference between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom (which we call Lightroom Cloudy to minimize confusion). The "storage" that you keep running out of is Adobe Cloud storage and from what you've said, I'd be is filled with the images you have shot on your phone and have brought into the Lightroom Cloudy ecosystem. I also suspect that when you open LR Cloudy on your desktop (which I assume is where you are only seeing half your images) that those are the images you are seeing. So, several points to tackle.

1) Yes, you can have images you take with your phone automatically brought into LR Classic. Just make sure that you are using the same Adobe account for both your LR Classic system and for LR Cloudy on your phone. Then enable Sync between LR Classic and LR Cloudy. Then any photo you take with your phone using the LR app will come down to LR Classic in addition to any photo stored on your phone that you import into LR Cloudy on your phone. You can also set LR Cloudy on your phone to automatically import any image you shot with the default Camera app that came with the phone.

2) Once the phone images are safely in LR Classic, you no longer need to keep full size copies of those images in the Adobe Cloud and can remove them from the cloud . If you desire to have some or all of them available in the LR Cloudy apps (desktop, Web, or Mobile), then you can place the desired images into one or more LR Classic collections and tell LR Classic to sync those collections with LR Cloudy. The advantage of doing it this way is that these "synced" photos do not count against your storage allocation in the Adobe Cloud but you still have access to those images through LR Cloudy apps.

I know I did not explain how to do each of these steps, but if you need help in the mechanics, please follow up with specific how to questions or look for blogs and tutorials that explain it - including excellent ones from our very own Lightroom Queen. (can someone on this forum provide the links - I'm traveling and don't have them handy)

I just noticed that in my Catalog5.4.11 folder, there is a Backup folder. The most recent backup is 2019-06-17 2006. I don't know what the 2006 means
The folder named "2019-06-17 2006" is named by the timestamp The "2006" is tome in a 24hour clock and would correspond to 8:06PM. If you have created backup since June 17th perhaps they are stored elsewhere on another drive .

opened Lightroom which is what I think I was using. Judging by the number of photos, ,maybe half we're there.
. The "about half " represents only the number. that you have synced using Lightroom (cloudy) and perhaps Lightroom on the iPhone. The default 20GB of cloud storage is likely not enough to sync and store ALL of your images in the cloud. Unless you decide to store Most of your Lightroom Classic image using Lightroom cloudy, you do not need more than the 20 GB.

You can turn on Syncing in Lightroom Classic and only sync the collection you designate in the Collection panel. These will load from classic and only proxy image files will be sent to the cloud as SmartDNGs. These will not count against your 20 GB Limit.
With syncing turned on in Lightroom Classic, any file that you add to the cloud via Lightroom on the iPhone will sync back to your Lightroom Classic catalog these will not be proxy file but the full size file as imported into the iPhone AND these WILL count against your 20GB limit. So you will need to manage what gets stored in the cloud and for only a long enough time that the full size image file gets synced down to Lightroom Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back