• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Which Lightroom Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilgarci

Lightroom Version Number
Mobile
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I subscribe to the $9.99 a month, 1 tg plan with Lightroom. It is understood I cannot batch rename on my desktop because of the version I have. What do I need to do, or what plan do I need to be able to batch rename my photos? Thanks

Lightroom Classic is the only Lightroom version that can do this.

Before I answer your question, why do you want to rename the originals?
The name of the file is not important and this is even more true in Lightroom Mobile or Lightroom (cloudy) for the desktop than it is in Lightroom Classic. Lightroom does not care about the "names" of the file and the files are stored and managed in the cloud. You do not even have direct access to them once they are in the cloud. Lightroom uses the metadata to search and filter and select images.
In Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom for the Desktop you can batch export and have an option to rename the derivative files. A significant name for the exported file (which presumably will not be managed by Lightroom) is useful and even advised.

You have the 1TB "Lightroom" plan that only includes the Lightroom app and not Photoshop or Lightroom Classic. The Photography Plan includes Photoshop, Lightroom Classic and Lightroom. It is available with 20GB (not much cloud storage) and 1TB of Cloud storage. The 1TB Photography plan is twice the price of the 20GB plan or the 1TB Lightroom plan. You can batch rename original files in Lightroom Classic which stores your image files and catalog locally.

Thanks. I know that is available but only 20GB storage. I now have over 150 GB. I am simply trying to rename files. Much of my collection is actual film photography, scanned to my computer. Many older, pre-computer age photos. They do not have the available metadata from digital cameras. I name my files by place and date. One fact I did find out is if I take phone photos I can rename them with a file explorer before I import to LR. Any renaming suggestions appreciated, and thanks for the answer.

Thanks. I know that is available but only 20GB storage. I now have over 150 GB. I am simply trying to rename files. Much of my collection is actual film photography, scanned to my computer. Many older, pre-computer age photos. They do not have the available metadata from digital cameras. I name my files by place and date. One fact I did find out is if I take phone photos I can rename them with a file explorer before I import to LR. Any renaming suggestions appreciated, and thanks for the answer.
You don't have to rename files. It is not important to how Lightroom (cloudy) is designed to work. The files are not directly accessible since they are all stored in the cloud. You can add keywords that are place and date. The file name is not the place for this type in Lightroom. The search box does not even allow for searching by file name. You can create an album for the place. I don't think there is a way to update the Capture Date metadata field in Lightroom (cloudy). But you can rename and correct the capture date outside of Lightroom before importing. However, this renaming effort still does not help you inside of Lightroom when your files are stored in the cloud.

The search box does not even allow for searching by file name.
Yes it does. Works on full and partial names.

I don't think there is a way to update the Capture Date metadata field in Lightroom (cloudy).
Yes, there is an "Edit Date & Time" capability in Lightroom (desktop).

clee01l said:
The search box does not even allow for searching by file name.
Yes it does. Works on full and partial names.
. Well it must be well hidden. Clicking on the Search box to invoke the drop down only lists "Type, Extension, and Orientation" in the "File" section. "Cntl/ Cmd F" or {Find} from the menu only invokes the Search Box Drop down.

Not that I would ever need to alter the capture date with my type of photos, I am glad for you to point it our and that it is there In Lightroom for those that might get a n incorrect date.

. Well it must be well hidden. Clicking on the Search box to invoke the drop down only lists "Type, Extension, and Orientation" in the "File" section. "Cntl/ Cmd F" or {Find} from the menu only invokes the Search Box Drop down.
The search box supports more than just those search facets that appear when you click in the box. It also supports free-form text entry for searching (which is of course what the Sensei AI search function uses). Just type in your search criteria, such as the specific filename you are looking for....you don't have to enter the complete string, it will return all matches.

The search box supports more than just those search facets that appear when you click in the box. It also supports free-form text entry for searching (which is of course what the Sensei AI search function uses). Just type in your search criteria, such as the specific filename you are looking for....you don't have to enter the complete string, it will return all matches.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks from me too. I hadn't even notice that, even though it seems obvious in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back