• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Which Graphics Card to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmuk

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,

Just been reading the latest newsletter that contains info on using a dedicated graphics card.

I am looking into buying one for my three year old HP Desktop running the latest version of LR Calssic and Win10. Based on the spec in the newsletter, there seems to be a few to chose from when searching the web. I don't do any gaming to speak of, but want to get a card that will give faster results for Photo-editing.

Can any users tell us which standalone graphics card they currently use.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi,

I'm very satisfied with my NVidia Quadro K620 2 Go GDDR3 PCI-Express. It's widely enough for photograhy.

Hi,

Just been reading the latest newsletter that contains info on using a dedicated graphics card.

I am looking into buying one for my three year old HP Desktop running the latest version of LR Calssic and Win10. Based on the spec in the newsletter, there seems to be a few to chose from when searching the web. I don't do any gaming to speak of, but want to get a card that will give faster results for Photo-editing.

Can any users tell us which standalone graphics card they currently use.

Many thanks

Mike
New graphics cards are released very frequently, so that sorting though different models can be daunting. However, you should first determine if your system supports PCI-E 2 or 3. If your system supports only PCI-E, then there is little value in paying for a PCI-E 3 card. If your system does support PCI-3, for best performance be sure to get a graphics card that also supports that standard.

Hi Phil,

Yes my PC does have a PCI-E 3 slot.

There seems to be a massive number of cards about that also support that spec.

I was wondering what other members of the forum were using?

Regards

Mike

Hi Phil,

Yes my PC does have a PCI-E 3 slot.

There seems to be a massive number of cards about that also support that spec.

I was wondering what other members of the forum were using?

Regards

Mike
Mike,

Then consider only cards that also support PCI-E version 3. Some recently released motherboards now support PCI-E version 4 and before long there will be graphics cards that support PCI-E verson 4. Don't pay the premium for such cards.

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back