Which camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use what is in my signature, an Olympus E-5''.

Other cameras once used are:

Bronica Etrsi
Canon Rebel S
Olympus OM-1
Mamiya twin lens reflex
Miranda

As I remember now, I think I had the C-33'? It had a lever to allow me to change the double lens..

I still pull out the ol' C22' every now and then. Sometimes I miss the square format and waist level viewfinder.

The C22' and C33' were basically the same camera. I think that they updated the shutter release mechanism and a few other little things for the 33'.

Here's mine with the 135mm lens and a cheapo flash handle that I use for hand holding it.

c22'.jpg

leica m8 with three Voigtlanders 15/28/5' [21/35/65] combo that mostly use.

I also have a 21mm-f/12' "pinhole", 4'f/1.4, 5'f/'.95, 75f/2.5. I come from older film SLR's but gravitated to rangefinders & similar [Rollei 35, Olympus Stylus35 (amazing camera), Contax G1], because they got taken everywhere, where as a lunky SLR wouldn't. Canon G6 (5 & 2 before that).

The Leica is SOO inconspicuous. Just an dude walking around taking pictures with his little antique camera ;)

robert

As in my Signature, Nikon and Fuji. Always loved Nikon, or maybe I just liked Kodachrome by Simon And Garfunkel not sure :lol:, I picked up the Fuji last year to go with it since it is still a Nikon mount and I have too much glass (or at least my home CFO thinks so;)).

Hassy film

Canon digital 35mm and action cameras

Panasonic micro4/3rds

the wish list is endless.....................

Phew... when I first saw your Post show up on screen, I immediately though it was SPAM. :shock: Sorry, but the way you listed that equipment is exactly like a spammer does when listing junk for sale.

"...listing Junk for Sale ???????????"
Ian, I hope you are not calling Canon equipment junk ???? :)

Last edited:
check out Scott Bourne, it almost boils down to , do you have any lenses for a camera, what can you afford, buy what your friends use. Took me ages to work out what I needed and for me the 7d was at the time the best all rounder. Nikon 7000 looks great.

Gotta choose Canon. I'm more used to it. No plans of trying other brands yet.

I had several over the years but I love my Canon best. It's also the one I can use most intuitively.

I have always used Nikons. Still got them. But my first digital is Leica M8. I don't think I would buy a DSLR. Too big and heavy. And the lenses. Wow! My Nikkor's never performed anything near these Leica lenses.

As you have noticed, the common answer is "mine". I have a Pentax and I like it and I intend to keep it for a while. However, I would not recommend that you get "mine".

I initially started with a Pentas K10D because I had 20 year old lenses that would fit it from when I was very active with a film SLR. The other reason was image stabilization is in the body and not in individual lenses. Canon and Nikon take a different route and their image stabilized lenses were more expensive that those that they made that were not image stabilized. Canon lost out because they use (not so) Compact Flash cards that are larger than and have been superseded by the more common SD cards. Compact Flash cards also require a special reader not commonly found on most laptops.

Most new lenses today are VR/IS/SR and the price difference has disappeared. My 20 year old lenses don't have the automatic aperture and focus making them less desirable and not as useful as I thought.

If I were buying a DSLR and did not have a stable of Pentax lenses, the DSLR would be a Nikon. However, My next camera will not be a DSLR. It will be one of the mirror-less interchangeable lens cameras that are starting to show up. The mfgs that build the 4/3ds standard have possibilities, the 3/4ds sensor size is 'big enough' though not quite the size of the APS-C format. Nikon has the V-1 and J-1 but the sensor size does not impress. Pentax will start selling a version with an APS-C and their K-mount that would allow every lens Pentax has ever made to be used on this new mirror-less camera. The only drawback is the lack of a viewfinder. Canon is late to the party and has no mirror-less interchangeable lens camera to market.

I always used Nikon 35mm cameras, but my first digital was an Olympus. Since then I've used a couple of Canon compacts (last one was the SX10 IS). I like my cameras small and light for travelling so I've never really been tempted to go back to the heavy lens brigade of Nikon or Canon DSLRs as I have a problem with my hands. But I've been missing the olde worlde cameras and have recently bought a Panasonic G2 which seems to be the best of both worlds for me. The joy of being able to turn the lens to focus and zoom once again! It's all Lightroom's fault as I wanted to take RAW format. Have to say, so far I'm quite impressed.

Check out scott bourne on photofocus, basically Canon or Nikon and then what do your mates use

Go to a bricks and mortar camera shop, pick up each one by different manufacturers in your price range, play with it, see what feels 'right'. If you make the wrong choice, you won't enjoy the camera as much.

I used to be PC based, but then....
Oh no, my bad :)

As I already have some Nikon glass I´m with them.
I recently sold my D700 which is a wonderful cam and the moistly spots in the corners of my eyes have dried two days ago.
The reason is I could get my hands on one of the scarce D800. I love it and I´m thinking of selling
my D90 too because of the of the D800´s ability to crop the sensor´s rendering down to 1.5 or 1.2 or even 3:4 format.

Last edited:
How many people have completly changed brands? That can be pretty expensive.

I buy Canon lenses because my body is Canon
I won't change my body because all my lenses are for the Canon'

And the circle continues. I am happy with Canon, but honestly, I can't/won't afford to switch simply because of my past investment.

So for the people who have changed, how did you justify your past kit investments?

If I could have found a D800 yesterday, I probably would be a Nikon owner today. I'm about to make the jump from Pentax. My past Kit investments can't be justified in light of a switch. Since I won't be able to afford to buy a Nikkor Macro and a long Prime. I'm going to go for the Macro first and keep the Pentax K20D and its 300mm, I'll work at selling the 43mm 1.9 and give away the well used 100mm. The bodies (2) have little resale value. It is a difficult decision to make but I am ready.

I'm a Nikon user, the D2x. It was quite the camera a few years ago, I still love it though.
When I was purchasing, it was a coin toss between Canon & Nikon. For me it's about the lens firsts, then the camera.

Someday I'd like to get either a D4 or look at the latest Canons too.
Keith

Any camera that has Ansel Adams behind it taking the pictures. Seems to work for most people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back