Which camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria , are u saying that fuji and nikon make better headshots with great skin tones???

I always see the best headshots ,portrays took with a canon ,always

No, I'm saying it's personal taste. Each camera has its own look, and its pros and cons.

I have seen some lovely skin tones from the high end Nikons and Fuji, even though Canon are usually accepted as the winner for skin tones. In lower end models Canon, IMHO, have the advantage for skin tones, whereas the lines blur at higher end models. But that is only in my experience of processing files from pro photographers worldwide - YMMV.

I don't want to start a war, but I'm curious as to which camera you all use. Just to keep things simple, the choices are: Canon, Nikon, and Other, in alphabetical order.

If you want to post why you chose a particular brand I'm interested, let's just please keep the discussion civil.

Thanx for your input,

by the way u can give a look here http://www.dpreview.com/

there are lot of review , and compare , seems canon are the best

outside canon & nikon
Olympus E-51' & Pentax k1'D are two great camera for 5''$ to 7''$

mantra;357' said:
by the way u can give a look here http://www.dpreview.com/

there are lot of review , and compare , seems canon are the best

outside canon & nikon
Olympus E-51' & Pentax k1'D are two great camera for 5''$ to 7''$

Any more "flame" type posts will result in moderation.

sorry , my english is poor , i did not understand

i can't post links?

You can post links. That's not the problem. The Moderators of this Forum will quickly moderate any Topics that tend towards insulting, brand-loyalty arguments, that's all. Just be careful where you try and lead this conversation.

I do not want this Site to break down into arguments over camera brands, or computer brands, or politics, religion, etc. There are plenty of other places to argue about those things, but this Site is not one of them.

Ian Farlow;36'5 said:
You can post links. That's not the problem. The Moderators of this Forum will quickly moderate any Topics that tend towards insulting, brand-loyalty arguments, that's all. Just be careful where you try and lead this conversation.

I do not want this Site to break down into arguments over camera brands, or computer brands, or politics, religion, etc. There are plenty of other places to argue about those things, but this Site is not one of them.
I agree @1''%

Excellent. Just want to be sure everyone is on the same page, that's all. I appreciate your input here, as I do others.

I've used a Canon of one sort or another since 1982. There wasn't any specific reason back then except Dixon's were doing a good deal on a T5' kit and I'd been told by my Dad that Canon was a good brand. The T5' lasted 2' years before I wanted another. I bought Canon again out of habit.

Fuji S3's for me. Lovely for portraits. Would love to move to Canon but expense is holding me back.

I use Canon gear as it was the first "proper" camera that I owned and have stuck with it since. I seem to collect it. I could easily have owned Nikon gear if I had bought into that system first. Some of the recent Nikon DSLRs look very nice, but I've too much invested in Canon to change, not that I'm looking to anyway.

Cameras
Canon 4'D with battery grip
Canon 2'D (grip now on 4'D)
Canon 1'D with battery grip
Canon 3''D
Canon IX
Canon 1NHS
Canon G9
Canon Ixus 9'' Ti
Canon Elph 85' Is

Canon T9'
Canon T8'
Canon T7'
Canon New F-1 (Los Angeles Olympic edition)
Canon AV-1
Canon A1
Canon AE-1

Canon A35F
Canon Canonet 28
Canon Canonet 17
Canon 7 (with standard 5'mm lens)
Canon 7 (with 5'mm f/'.95 lens)
Canon IVSB
Canon III

EOS lenses
Canon EF 17-4'mm f4.' L
Canon EF 5'mm f1.4
Canon EF 1''mm f2.8
Canon EF 7'-2''mm f2.8 L
Canon EF 1''-4''mm L
Canon EF-S 1'-22
Canon EF-S 17-85
Canon EF-S 18-55

Various FD and LTM lenses

Phew... when I first saw your Post show up on screen, I immediately though it was SPAM. :shock: Sorry, but the way you listed that equipment is exactly like a spammer does when listing junk for sale.

I had the same reaction and did nearly delete it. But caught myself!

:)

Don

Sorry about that, not exactly a great first post from me then :oops:

I'll try harder because I think this is an great forum full of informative posts and I'm really pleased to find it.

LOL Mike. Well we're very pleased to have you here... and that's an awful lot of kit!!!

Mike, how much of that do you carry regularly? I hope you pay your assistant well.....;)

Welcome to the Forum!:cheesy:

Thanks for the welcome!

The 4'D and the G9 are my main cameras, my wife uses the 3''D and Ixus / Elph. The Ixus was apparently drowned in Coke in New York and killed stone dead so she bough an Elph from B&H. The Ixus now seems to have made a total recovery and is still going strong.

I still get a huge kick out of handling and using the old the old film camera, there's still something about their mechanical qualities which I like.

I started out as a Canon shooter until the release of the F5. I have been a die-hard Nikon fan ever since. After going digital with the release of the D1x a while back, I almost switched back last year and just about gave up on the Nikon FF pipe-dream when Nikon pulled through with the D3. I am glad I stayed.

I still have a suffering F1'' on the back room somewhere that probably still has a roll of tmax32'' in it.

Nearly 45 years of Nikon shooting, so I guess I'll hang with them for a while longer. The D3 looks like a real winner & I can't wait to see the D4''(?). Nearly switched to Canon last year as their glass fit my needs a bit better. Tried the 5D for a couple days, really wanted to like it, but it didn't fit my hand. Got a good price on a D2'', so went with it. Besides, I already have all these Nikkor MF lenses that are fun to play with.

On the other hand, my new Canon G9 is a great little P&S . . .

This has been interesting, my thanks to all who responded.

So after about a month, it's 6'/37 Canon/Nikon with another 15% for other, obviously in conjunction with their Nikon/Canon gear since the total exceeds 1''%.

I recently picked up a D3'' and it is an absolutely fantastic camera. Makes me glad I've stuck with Nikon, at least for the time being. I've always been a big fan of Nikon glass, seems like they finally got around to making a digital body worthy of it. Now if they could come up with something in the 5D class, I'd be a very happy camper! The D3 is just a little bit beyond affordable for me right now.......:cry::cry:

Personally, I used to look at camera bodies as something to hold the film and the lens and make sure the two kept a proper relationship. But that's all changed, now it's all high-tech and what's hot this month will be old-tech three months down the road. So I guess it's just a matter of making your choice in glass and living with the "hot today, gone tomorrow" phenomenon. But nobody's equipment gets worse when a new model comes out so it becomes a question of whether you want to pay the price to stay on the bleeding edge or be satisfied with what has worked for you over time.

All in all, it's just a freakin' GREAT time to be a photographer! :cheesy::cheesy: So much truly excellent gear to choose from and so little time(and money:cry:)

Happy shooting to all!

Sometimes I sorta miss the old days when the camera body didn't have as much to do with the quality of the photo. In the film days, some of my best pics were taken with a 25 year old Minolta SRT1'', and if I'd had an F5 the pictures wouldn't necessarily have been any better.

Nice, the D3''. I had the D2'' and loved it, but the noise and banding I experienced were just not what I wanted. I still hated to sell it, but no option to turn back now. Too much money invested in Canon at the moment.

This has been interesting, my thanks to all who responded.

So after about a month, it's 6'/37 Canon/Nikon with another 15% for other, obviously in conjunction with their Nikon/Canon gear since the total exceeds 1''%.

I recently picked up a D3'' and it is an absolutely fantastic camera. Makes me glad I've stuck with Nikon, at least for the time being. I've always been a big fan of Nikon glass, seems like they finally got around to making a digital body worthy of it. Now if they could come up with something in the 5D class, I'd be a very happy camper! The D3 is just a little bit beyond affordable for me right now.......:cry::cry:

Personally, I used to look at camera bodies as something to hold the film and the lens and make sure the two kept a proper relationship. But that's all changed, now it's all high-tech and what's hot this month will be old-tech three months down the road. So I guess it's just a matter of making your choice in glass and living with the "hot today, gone tomorrow" phenomenon. But nobody's equipment gets worse when a new model comes out so it becomes a question of whether you want to pay the price to stay on the bleeding edge or be satisfied with what has worked for you over time.

All in all, it's just a freakin' GREAT time to be a photographer! :cheesy::cheesy: So much truly excellent gear to choose from and so little time(and money:cry:)

Happy shooting to all!

I buy most glass new, but haven't purchased a new body since shortly after the 3'D came out. I find that I get a much better value out of low mileage used bodies. The 1D II was a $4''' camera when it debuted. I paid just a shade over $2''' earlier this year and it was barely used, and the similarly used 1'D cost me next to nothing ($425 total after adding the grip). They're just as good as they were when they came out 3-4 years ago (they may even be late production numbers, I dunno) and I won't be the one taking the huge hit at resale time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back