• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Which camera do you use for travel... FF or Micro 4/3 or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting indeed. I know everyone is always passionate about their choice of camera but the reports here are a great mix of passion and hands on experience and that = Priceless! It's actually helping me a great deal in determining what I will eventually be deciding to go with. I am certainly less apprehensive about making the move to mirrorless and even further to M4/3 now.

if you want to dive in the deep end, head over to http://www.mu-43.com . The forum is not quite as intimate as it is here, but folks are mostly well behaved, friendly and helpful.

--Ken

if you want to dive in the deep end, head over to http://www.mu-43.com . The forum is not quite as intimate as it is here, but folks are mostly well behaved, friendly and helpful.

--Ken
Thanks Ken... just been checking out your link... looks like a lot of m4/3 enthusiasts over there with tons of photo examples to take a boo at.

Thanks Ken... just been checking out your link... looks like a lot of m4/3 enthusiasts over there with tons of photo examples to take a boo at.

Don't forget to come up for air once in a while! :)

--Ken

One thing to consider with travel photography is how your picture taking changes over time. Especially if you want to capture memories versus landscape....

I have just returned from two weeks in France to visit future in-laws, only about 2K photos with my Canon 6D before culling. Of that only ~50 were with my telephoto lens. Everything else was with my Sigma 35MM 1.4 Prime.

The trip really brought home to me how much my technique has changed over the years. My general travel photography has changed from mostly focusing on what we are seeing to capturing members of our group at the site with a great background. For us, this brings back a lot more memories. The result is I am now taking much more advantage of the full frame sensor and the available dynamic range. In order to maximize having both people in the foreground in focus and the background in focus, I am often going to minimize the aperture as much as practically possible for the scene to increase the depth of field; this leads to a lot of low light situations for the camera.

Since you talk about making memories, consider how easy the camera is to use when handing to a stranger to take a picture of you and your wife.

Tim

HI Tim... sage words too!

One thing to consider with travel photography is how your picture taking changes over time. Especially if you want to capture memories versus landscape....

And I suspect it will change even more as I move along. I used to enjoy doing candids back in the B&W film days... shooting weddings as a nondescript... same thing at sports events (crowd shots - never showed any posed shots even though I pretended to take some!). I love my D700 for the macro but have also seen some incredible shots over at the mu-43 site that blow my FF out of the water! Right now I'm open to discovering what genre(s) I want to dive into most and no matter what I pick up in the near future for an alternate it will probably be different from what I have now as I don't believe I need two of the same thing.

I have just returned from two weeks in France to visit future in-laws, only about 2K photos with my Canon 6D before culling. Of that only ~50 were with my telephoto lens. Everything else was with my Sigma 35MM 1.4 Prime.

Agreed... Of the 3K shots from our 22 day trip I'd probably estimate 98% of them were taken with either the Nikkor 24-85 or with the 50 prime and that only because I could tote it around in my vest pocket... worked great for some low light indoor shots sans flash. The only time I left my 70-300 on was on the last day (7th for us) in Paris when we were staying close to home and didn't have much walking to do. I also kept it on while we were cruising through the Rhine Gorge, albeit it poured rain for most of that part of the trip. I both instances I was glad I had it with me, but in both cases I was not wandering far from my home base so the weight issue was not a problem.

The trip really brought home to me how much my technique has changed over the years. My general travel photography has changed from mostly focusing on what we are seeing to capturing members of our group at the site with a great background. For us, this brings back a lot more memories. The result is I am now taking much more advantage of the full frame sensor and the available dynamic range. In order to maximize having both people in the foreground in focus and the background in focus, I am often going to minimize the aperture as much as practically possible for the scene to increase the depth of field; this leads to a lot of low light situations for the camera.

I was under the understanding that the M4/3's are naturally good at attaining the greater DoF aren't they? And that it's extreme bokeh that they fall short compared to the FF cameras.

Since you talk about making memories, consider how easy the camera is to use when handing to a stranger to take a picture of you and your wife.

Tim

No truer words spoken... Most, if not all who I gave my camera to exclaimed upon putting it in their hands for a shot, "Oh, it's so heavy!" They should have seen it from my side after toting it around for upwards of 10 hours a day! It's a wonder I have any shoulders left!

"It's a wonder I have any shoulders left!"

I remember reading somewhere that professional photographers almost always have back problems.

"It's a wonder I have any shoulders left!"

I remember reading somewhere that professional photographers almost always have back problems.

Bingo!

I blame mine on a lifetime of sports though... not a minute of which I would take back.

and also one of the reasons I'm interested in an articulating screen! :sneaky:

Well in terms of toting around, I want to get a couple of pancake lens. I will likely either get a couple of lens filters or a pancake lens before my next big trip.
That will cut the weight in half :)

Tim

Several years ago I bought a Canon Powershot S95 as a highly portable alternative to my Canon EOS 450D DSLR. I found that this system suited me really well and recently upgraded to their successors, the Powershot S120 and EOS 760D. The S series Powershots are so small that they really can be carried in a trousers pocket, which I don't think is true of the micro 4/3s and others mentioned above. Although they look like a point&shoot, they are not. You can shoot in RAW and have a high quality zoom lens (the S120 goes to f/1.8 at the wide end) and fairly large sensor. For rather modest compromises, you get something really small and portable that takes excellent photos. I still use the DSLR a lot, though, when small size is not so important.

HI jmj2001
I think that's the same one as one of our club members has... its an incredibly tiny little thing that takes surprisingly good photos. He too has a FF Canon but as he has some mobility issues I usually see him with his PS most of the time... that might be third option for me for an everyday camera... that or a better phone... camera would be less expensive update though in that case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back