• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Where are saved Map Locations stored

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2fusion

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here though I have been coming to this site from time to time as it contains a great wealth of information. It seems like a really great community and I am pleased to be part of it. I have a question that, even though I have searched several sites, I can’t seem to find the answer. Recently, I started to use the save Map location feature in LrC and find it useful. Therein lies my problem. I have a Mac and was having some issues with kernel panics so I decided to reformat the drive and start from scratch. I saved all the necessary files I know of for the transfer and have my catalog and originals, etc. I don’t have many presets so I didn’t transfer those but everything appeared to be ok until I noticed all my saved Map locations are missing. Does anyone know where the saved locations are stored? I made an image of the drive before I reformatted it so I have access to all the data but I dont know where to look. I could not find any information on the Adobe site or here or a general search. In fact, I do not see much information about the Map function at all. It is really useful save locations as you can quickly find pictures taken in a certain area. Thank you for any assistance.

s,

The Locations are stored along with all other presets/settings (excluding Develop presets), but exactly where depends on whether you had the option to "Store Presets with this Catalog" (Preferences>Presets tab) checked or unchecked.

If that setting was unchecked, you should find the "Locations" sub-folder in Macintosh HD/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom.

It that setting was checked, the "Locations" sub-folder should be in the "Lightroom Settings" folder which in turn will be in the same folder as the catalog.

Thank you very much for your quick reply Jim! I‘m assuming it was not checked because I did not see it in the folder with the catalog. Do you know if I can change location? By that mean if I get the folder from the Applications folder and move it to the Same folder as the catalog, if I then check the store presets setting, will LrC read it ok?

Again, I really appreciate the help...

Bob

Generally speaking, that setting is only of value if you have the catalog on an external drive which you want to switch from one system to another, thus having the presets with the catalog means you don't have to maintain the presets on two different systems.

So if you're not using multiple systems, you're probably better advised to leave that option unchecked and instead copy the sub-folder from the cloned drive and place it in the same default location on the reformatted system drive.

Yes, you could do it the way you suggested, but bear in mind there's a host of other settings which you may have been using which would also switch to the new location (and while the location of the sub-folders may change, the contents of them do not and would have to be copied manually by the user).

Thanks Jim, I see what you are saying. I‘ll probably leave it where it was but this information is invaluable as I have a lot of nested saved locations.

Just an update, I found the folder and it worked perfectly thank you. Apple really makes it difficult extract information from the user library folder. The show library option does not show when you are in the Time Machine user folder and terminal will give you an “operation not permitted” when you attempt to access it from there. Fortunately, I was able to access it through the disk image I had created.

Just asking here because I haven't received any responses after posting it in another map related thread. I have upgraded all my drives and migrated everything on my Windows machine so not having a problem with that. The issue I'm having is this:

My Show Folders in Subfolders is turned on. At first I thought that might be the problem because it wasn't. Turning it on didn't help.

I'm manually dragging photos onto the map. I map the photos in one folder e.g 20210401 (I'll call that day 1) and when I go to another folder eg. 20210403 and open the map for the SAME LOCATION none of the photos I pins created in 20210401 show up.
Here's an example where for Day 1 I mapped 17 photos for one location. Then I go to Day 2 and open the map and none of those from Day 1 are showing up. I drag 3 of them onto that same location and it displays the total number there as being 3.

1637781311570.png

I believe this is a BUG because I've dropped hundreds of images onto existing pins that were created on photos in other folders before.
I contacted Adobe Support and the support person could not help.
I reported it as a bug to Adobe and have heard nothing back as yet.

It makes manually positioning images at the same locations extremely difficult because unless one is at exactly the same zoom setting on the map, positioning new photos at the same location is inaccurate ...particularly when the location has no visible name or icon to use as the anchor point.

I'm wondering if this is caused by some setting that got changed with a recent update??

Please get back to me with a solution for this. Right now I'm at a standstill because of it.
I'm on Windows 10, latest build and on Lightroom 11.0.1.

Hopefully someone knows what's going on here because mapping a 4,000 image 3 week trip is nightmarish now.
Thanks,

In fact, LR shows on the map the location of photos in the filmstrip. If you select 2 folders with 10 photos each, the 20 photos will be located on the map.

Ok. I am bewildered. I have a home studio so many times ...weeks or months or years after first pinning photos to it, I've added other photos to that location from within the day's folder on which I shot them. I've never worked at 'parent' level folders ...always at specific day folders.

Even a few days ago that was still working fine, so while I hear you ...I'm totally perplexed.
I have been using the drag and drop system since 2014 or so, and since I never work at the parent folder level or with multiple folders selected ...I have no idea why existing pins always showed up and I could drop more new images on them. To me it makes no sense that the map could even open and not display pins that were put there previously. It isn't like we have a separate map of the planet for each folder into which we import images.

Thanks for responding anyway. I can easily select multiple days' folders from the same trip, and so doing does show them all ...so that will work and I guess I'll just have to change the way I do it.

After 8 years of it working perfectly ...this is just bonkers!

AFAIR, it has always worked that way. This makes sens to me. However, I'd like LR to work the way you expect (show all the pins) when selecting a memorized location, instead of having to first select all photos (which is not a big deal, anyway !)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back