When importing, pictures come into Lightroom in random order

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
After I import pictures (either from my camera directly (D750) or sticking the memory card to the computer) into Lightroom (5.6), the picture thumbnails shown in Library or Develop modules are not in order of their original names designated by me on camera. Instead they seem to be coming in a totally random fashion. For example, 20 frames importing from camera with number OX2000 thru OX2019 are normally expected to come into Lightroom in the same order. Instead it is listed all randomly.

I've been using Lightroom for a while with my other camera D700, and I never had any problems with it. I still don't. Could it be a memory card issue? Or am I missing an obvious switch somewhere in Lightroom.

I apologize if this had been dealt before. And I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Orhan

Welcome to the forum.
Actually there is no order to files stored on your computer. On import, LR will use several CPU cores and many threads to copy many files at once from your camera card to your disk drive. Some that started to be cataloged later may finish sooner than others. The grid view that you see in LR defaults to a sort view of "Added Order". If the imaged for cataloged out of file name sequence, it may appear that they are random. Changing the sort order (found on the tool bar) to "Capture Time" or "File Name" should resequenced the image in an order that you are comfortable with.

Thank you so much Cletus. The thing is toolbar was hidden, so I didn't see it. Thanks for the detailed information and the solution. I appreciate it.
Have a great New Year :)
Orhan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back