When calibrating an LCD display what should I be doing with the contrast control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebamboo

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When calibrating an LCD display you typically set the brightness level till 120cdm but what should I be doing with the contrast control?
I've used Xrite and DisplayCal calibration software and I haven't seen anything regarding the correct contrast level when using them.
Are displays perhaps supposed to be at maximum contrast to utilize their full dynamic range?

After calibrating my display the contrast of my images in LR to my eye looks to high.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect section for this question, I wasn't too sure where to post it.

When calibrating an LCD display you typically set the brightness level till 120cdm but what should I be doing with the contrast control?
I've used Xrite and DisplayCal calibration software and I haven't seen anything regarding the correct contrast level when using them.
Are displays perhaps supposed to be at maximum contrast to utilize their full dynamic range?

After calibrating my display the contrast of my images in LR to my eye looks to high.
If your monitor has manual controls for adjusting such things as RGB and contrast, those instructions will be available somewhere, but not every monitor enables that level of adjustement. That being said, I never worry about any of it, and let the software (I use X-Rite, also) set everything to be done automatically. As for brightness, while 120 is a common setting, I know someone who is an expert at all this, and a printer, who sets his at 100. The proof for what is best is how prints look, if you print (and have your printer profiled, as well). Gamma should be 2.2 under either circumstance.

My monitor has RGB(normally nested under the "Custom" colour preset), brightness and contrast controls, most monitors have that these days.
The contrast control makes a very noticeable difference when you adjust it so I would like to know what best practice is when it comes to the contrast.

The contrast control makes a very noticeable difference when you adjust it so I would like to know what best practice is when it comes to the contrast
What does the calibration instructions state? I know for some, they tell you to reset to the default settings before starting. Does your user guide make any reference to contrast? Have you tried the XRite product support page?

I use a Spyder X but it only displays controls and no patterns that could be used to calibrate contrast.

After some more digging aruond google for most monitors the factory default for contrast is the optimal setting, likewise the sharpness setting.
You can test that for your self on this page, as soon as I increase the contrast I start to lose block 254 then 253 etc:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back