• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Export What type of hardware do I need to export 25-30 K photos in 12 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fivestar

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
We are always on the newest version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Good evening,

Currently we have a record of exporting just under 60K photos in 12 hours with 4 pcs.
Each of these pcs has a limittation of around 18K photos with their current configuration.
So, one day one of my guys tried to export 23K photos from one machine and it was not done
exporting it when we came the next morning, so we had to wait about half of that day too for
the machine to finish the 23K photos. And with these pcs the CPU usage is at 100% all the time,
so the machine sadly cannot be used for other things.

So I am now looking for advice for a pc hardware setup that will allow us to export 25-30 K in 12 hours.
And I am willing to spend good dollars to achieve it.
I am aware that this will depend on the file sizes etc.,
so lets us just say it could be anywhere between 10-20 MB per photo.

Using userbenchmark.com I have come up with the following hard ware suggestions:

Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison
Baseline Bench: Game 203%, Desk 93%, Work 313%

CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 3960X $1,350
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 $1,500
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB $300
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 C14 4x16GB $639
Total: $3,789

I read the AMD Ryzen TR 3960X processor was better than Intel or otherAMD processors if you wanted to export huge amounts of photos here.

Anyone else have experience and suggestions for this type of huge amont of photo exports are welcome to reply.
Thanks for your input!

John

Last edited:
You've probably already found lots of anecdotal suggestions out there, but Puget Systems (which you linked to) is the only attempt I know of at comprehensive Lightroom-specific benchmarking across a broad spectrum of hardware. Their benchmark isn't great, but it's much better than the anecdotal reports.

I am very interested in the Ryzen 9 5900x AMD Ryzen 9 5900X review

I am thinking of matching this with the Asus Creator x570 motherboard.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-16p-ak.html
The reason for this (pricy ) board is that it has :
1. Capacity for at least 3 PCIe 4.0 M2 drives. I will use the latest and fastest for the a) O/S b) Catalog and Adobe Cache folders c)Spare
2. Native Thunderbolt 3 support for my external Thunderbolt 3 disk subsystem
3. 10Gb Lan (for my Nas backups).

As I expect the Ryzen 9 5900x to be very scarce for now, I might put in a cheaper compatible processor now and upgrade it when supplies become more plentiful.

I am actively trying to have a workstation built, but usual builders are slow to respond to my queries for quotes and expected delivery.

I will watch to see real world reviews of Lightroom on the new Apple chips, but will wait for the next generation as a possible laptop/travel solution.

Also... is it worth considering configuring a Windows Server on Amazon (or similar) with high resources/specs and test throughput.

I used to manage mainframe data centres.... never tried to run Windows on a Mainframe... but maybe there are services which will provide such a virtual service. These will probably run storage in a SAN storage environment and give very high data i/o.

Also... is it worth considering configuring a Windows Server on Amazon (or similar) with high resources/specs and test throughput.

I used to manage mainframe data centres.... never tried to run Windows on a Mainframe... but maybe there are services which will provide such a virtual service. These will probably run storage in a SAN storage environment and give very high data i/o.
I am not too much into Amazon services, but I know we use the S3 service from Amazon from Ireland actually. And I also know we have a scalable upload velocity there which automatically puts more processors to work if the queue of photos in upload gets over a certain break point. This is due to a set of scripts running on Amazon making B&W and Sepia versions of all the photos, and text overlays to the uploaded photos etc etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back