• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

what 's about the limit of pics in a catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantra

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi
is there a limit of pics in one catalog?
if yes , could i know the limit of photos that i can import in lightroom

thanks
have a nice day

There's no limit that I'm aware of, but it does get slower with lots of images. My biggest library is currently about 14',''' images, and is a bit on the slow side!

thanks Victoria

it gets slower if you want to show all the images at once... But I keep them organized in monthly folders and/or job folders - LR shows images faster that way.

But I am looking if there is a way to sort images by file size and dimensions - or show images of a certain width/length.
I made one catalog from a folder of old images resized for web and print use and i would like to show only files larger than 1 MB or full size

Hi,
We have a LR catalog with 8','''' raw images (about 1.1 TB). This catalog is kept, organized in sub-folders, in an external 1.5TB hard drive connected with fire wire 8'' to a Mac Pro with 4GB ram. We are using LR 1.3 and OSX 5.
The catalog has been behaving erratically. Most of the time we are in the library module, searching for images with 'find'. Sometimes it works really smoothly and sometimes the 'spinning wheels' won't stop.
I've tested LR with a fresh OSX and LR install, I've re-imported the catalog using 1:1 previews, I've even used 'Disk Warrior' to repair any possible problems in the external drive but still the program becomes sluggish and most of the time, it just stops responding.
Any ideas on what to do or where to ask for help?
Thanks.

Oops double post - @!$#** internet!!

This is probably what is usual for a catalog of that size at this point in LR's development. Not really the ideal situation, that's for sure. However what I have done is to break my files into manageable sized catalogs for my system. It may take some experimentation to find the size that works for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back