• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

What is your preferred way of changing detail settings in DEVELOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System:Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): 6.13 for now, but will upgrade to Classic once Adobe makes its "announcements."

I have been doing the fine adjustments in DEVELOP to setting like Exposure using either keyboard or mouse. I have a mouse that is ergonomic (important to me) but really lousy otherwise (and overpriced, to boot).

So I can think of five different ways to do these fine adjustments:

Keyboard
Mouse
Shuttle Pro
Tablet
MIDI Controller

Which do you prefer, and why? Do you use any in combination? How?

Phil Burton

Almost-totally mouse, with a little keyboard. I've acquired various other input devices over the years, but they soon gather layers of dust.

I spend my time split between Keyboard, Mouse and Tablet
Left hand on Keyboard, Right on mouse, anytime I brush something, I move right hand to tablet.

Personally, I've found midi controllers and other devices not apt to my style.

John,

Which model mouse? Mine has terrible sensitivity.

Phil Burton

I spend my time split between Keyboard, Mouse and Tablet
Left hand on Keyboard, Right on mouse, anytime I brush something, I move right hand to tablet.

Personally, I've found midi controllers and other devices not apt to my style.
Rikk,

Which brand and model of tablet? I have seen many reports of issues with tablet drivers. What is your experience?

It's a Microsoft Trackball, Phil, and I've probably had it for 10 years or so.

John

Rikk,

Which brand and model of tablet? I have seen many reports of issues with tablet drivers. What is your experience?

Windows - I am using an Intuos Pro Medium. It replaced an Intuos 4 Large.
Mac - I also use a Intuos 4 small

I stay current on drivers and don't remember any issues in the past year other than an ACR bug filed at Adobe.

Logitech Trackball for gross adjustments.
Then keyboard to fine tune. Often directly entering values.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

I use a mouse almost exclusively, with a small bit of keyboard input very occasionally.

When I do adjustments using Develop module sliders I am concentrating on the image itself - not the numbers...

Tony Jay

Almost-totally mouse, with a little keyboard. I've acquired various other input devices over the years, but they soon gather layers of dust.
John,
Just wondering. What other devices did you use, and then stop using? Why?

Phil

I use a mouse almost exclusively, with a small bit of keyboard input very occasionally.

When I do adjustments using Develop module sliders I am concentrating on the image itself - not the numbers...

Tony Jay
Tony,

Agree, but I find that I really can't control the sliders using my crummy mouse. If I'm using the keyboard, it's almost distracting, at least to me, so I don't concentrate on the image itself. I'm wondering if there is some way that seems more "natural" or "intuitive" to control the sliders, at least for me.

Phil

I mostly use a tablet in my right hand for sliders

I also have a mouse under my left hand, which I mostly use for menus including "right clicks". The mouse is a trackball one, and so has a minimal footprint and does not need to be moved.

I rarely use the keyboard whilst editing.

Dave

Tony,

Agree, but I find that I really can't control the sliders using my crummy mouse. If I'm using the keyboard, it's almost distracting, at least to me, so I don't concentrate on the image itself. I'm wondering if there is some way that seems more "natural" or "intuitive" to control the sliders, at least for me.

Phil
Phil I guess the only suggestion is to get a better mouse - there are dozens of variations on the theme so it should be possible to find something that works!

Tony Jay

I really can't control the sliders using my crummy mouse.
Like Tony said. Look at gaming mice. They can be pricey, but are really precise. Mine has buttons that let me change the dpi on the fly.

Also, LR lets you hold down the shift key while you move a slider. It vastly decreases the sensitivity, giving you more precision, no matter what mouse you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back