• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

What is the newest version of Lightroom for Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foyer

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
What is the newest version of Lightroom for Windows?

Is there a protable one?

Many thanks! For some reason I each time have difficulties to find that latest.

Is there a protable version?

Last edited:
Many thanks! For some reason I each time have difficulties to find that latest.

Is there a protable version?
I don't understand "protable". If you mean portable, then you might be asking about the mobile version for phones and tablets. That would be the v6.1.0 version that Paul referenced. If you want a version that will run on your PC, then that would be with er Lightroom Classic and Lightroom (cloud service). Both of which require a subscription.

Sorry, I meant portable. So the same version like the version to be installed but without having to install it on Win. So it runs on Win without the need to install it.

Nope. Lightroom Classic has no portable version in that sense. It always needs to be installed.

With the Lightroom subscription you get Lightroom Web which runs in the web browser.

Yes, but what if I am without Internet. And besides of that I rather have a program on the drive. And I am used to the program.

So you're without the internet, and you don't want to install on Windows? What do you want to run LR on?

I would say, I am not without the Internet, I sometimes am. On Win. If there is no portable version I would use an installed one.

Yes, but what if I am without Internet. And besides of that I rather have a program on the drive. And I am used to the program.
Both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom desktop install on your computer. When you install them you need an internet connection, but you can use them without an internet connection for up to 30 days.

I thought Lightroom Classic and desktop are the same.

So if one does not have an Internet connection for 31 days both ones will stop working?

You install Lightroom Classic on the PC like you would Microsoft Office. The program goes in the Program folder and the data (Image files and catalog file is stored (by default) in the Pictures folder. Settings and preferences are stored in a system folder. This is not any different from any other app designed to run on Windows. Lightroom (cloudy) is a little different in that the Data (image files and catalog) are stored in the cloud Both versions require a periodic connection to the internet to verify that the subscription is current. But you can be disconnected from the internet for a few months without a program interruption.

Portable to the extent that you can I install the app on a laptop and carry the laptop anywhere you chose to go. Not portable where you can install the app and data on a thumb drive and plug that into any computer. You can however, install Lightroom Classic on two separate computers and run two separated catalogs. Lightroom (cloudy) can be installed on any Windows or Mac or using the mobile version on any Phone or tablet running iOS or Android. These can then access your datastore in the cloud.

So if one does not have an Internet connection for 31 days both ones will stop working?
An app that is is stalled on a Windows PC could be installed on a desktop or laptop. Lightroom Classic does its work locally but can send images to the cloud. Lightroom (cloudy). has a version for the PC or Mac (desktop or laptop) but only works with data in the cloud.
I think Johan may be wrong on the time limit. It is either 30, 60, or 90 days (I can't remember as I have never been away from the internet to test this). Even if you exceed your time period OR let your license expire, Lightroom Classic will function in a limited mode so that you can still access your data.

No, they are not the same. Lightroom desktop is also know as 'Lightroom Cloudy', but the official name is simply 'Lightroom'. It's the version that stores the originals in the cloud, but if you have no internet it will simply store them locally until it can upload hem. Lightroom vs. Lightroom Classic | Adobe

Lightroom cloudy will stop working, Lightroom Classic will go into an 'Expired mode', where the Develop and Map modules no longer work, but the others continue to work. The grace period is either 30 days or 99 days, depending on whether you pay monthly or yearly. Internet connectivity, offline grace period, and reminders | Adobe Creative Cloud apps

Many thanks! Sounds very complicated (I am somehow used to programs running on the local computer without quitting after a special period or getting a restriction). So I at least need Lightroom Classic (10), that is the only version running on Win being installed like a usual programm on PC or Notebook and which does not need a Cloud or such / Internet Connection (all the time to load images to work on or so).

Many thanks! Sounds very complicated (I am somehow used to programs running on the local computer without quitting after a special period or getting a restriction). So I at least need Lightroom Classic (10), that is the only version running on Win being installed like a usual programm on PC or Notebook and which does not need a Cloud or such / Internet Connection (all the time to load images to work on or so).

More and more vendors are going to a subscription model. Adobe is one of the few that offers a monthly subscription as well as a yearly subscription. Microsoft Office is offered as an annual subscription. Checking in with the vendor is the only way the vendor has of verifying that your subscription is current. This is not a new concept as commercial software has been offered to corporations as a subscription from the beginning.
Unlike Microsoft Office, Lightroom Classic will not stop running after the end of the subscription. It will go into a reduced function mode but you still have access to all of the images that you have cataloged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I assume this means in the (near) future such subscriptions versions for all kind of programs will be the normal ones while the others will not be available anymore.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back